Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:57 AM   #1

Does IS make the canon faster even though the sigma is faster over all?Is the extra 4mm better than the IS?Is the canon better or is the sigma better?I will be using this for my walk around and hope this will be better for shooting my son at his few concerts.

Thanks for any help

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:50 AM   #2

[align=left]dropped the prime idea? :-)

IS only helps for static objects. Even then, I wouldn't say it's "faster" than the sigma in that respect. I would just stick to the idea that IS is antishake technology rather than saying "equivalent 3-fstop". The last term can sound misleading.

The sigma is the faster lens.

This is a pure guess, but I don't think IS will be very useful at concerts.

Many people say the 4mm difference is significant. I've tried to see on the kit lens but 28mm isn't labeled on the barrel of the lens. When dealing with relatively small focal lengths, the change in the angle of view is a lot.

That is...:

if focal length = ~wide angle
change in focal length -> large change in angle of view (resulting image)

As an example think about a 10-30mm lens. First start out at 10mm and then zoom to 30mm. I think anyone will agree that the resulting image will be a lot different then when the lens was at 10mm. Notice that the difference in focal length was only 20mm .

Now think about some tele lenses... a 250-300mm lens. Start off from 250mm and go to 300mm. You'll notice (if you ever tried a long tele) the resulting image hasn't changed a whole lot - but the difference in focal length was 50mm, greater than the first example.

That's why tele lenses tend to have a larger focal length range than the wide-med lenses. (i.e 70-300 mm vs 16-35mm)

Setting these factors aside, you should take a look at some sample shots to make sure both lenses are similiar in picture quality. (I haven't heard a lot about the sigma lens)

[/align]
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:44 AM   #3

Thanks Boy,I am under the impression that if the sigma can produce good pics then that might be the way to go.I also have been reading about the 24-70 2.8 sigma and am wondering if anyone would give up the 65mm reach for the constant 2.8?I also here this is one of sigmas most popular lenses.So for a walk around lens would the 70mm or 135mm work better?

I also own a 20D,kit lens,70-300 Sigma APO,50MM 2.8 Macro Sigma.

Thanks

Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:08 PM   #4

I would probably give up the 65mm for a constant f/2.8 . Most of my pictures are indoors and I wouldn't risk using a slow long lens - which is why I just stuck with the 30mm f/1.4 and cropped whenever I wanted a "tele"-like shot.

I think the term, "general" will slightly alter with each person... personally I'd consider a constant f/2.8 very versatile compared to a lens with a larger zoom range. Some people would like a 5-10x zoom, preferring focal length over aperture. I guess you'll need to discover which one you value more.

To ask about if 70/135 is general or not is pretty much up to you to decide. In my opinion I think both lenses are just as general as the other (I'm using a PRIME 99.5% of the time :-) ).

But luckily you have lenses that cover your range of interest.
-Whenever you use the kit lens, do you find yourself wanting more than 55mm?
-Were you always switching to the 70-300 to take a picture?
-Do you use +100mm often?
-How about wishing for a larger aperture?

Just continue asking yourself questions until you discover which one is more important to you: focal length or aperture.

BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote