Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:57 AM   #1

Hello I'm new photography and just startingmynew hobby. I'm just getting ready to order my camera a Canon 30D from B&H. (would you buy the kit or just the body?)

If you had to pick 3 lenses to start with what are your suggestions. I will be takingmostly outdoor shots,mountains, plantsand wildlife etc. and a few family pictures.

One of the lenses I was looking at is the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS

I'm not rich but I'm willing to spend the money to get good equipment.

Could you give any equipment suggestions, the must haves.

I know this is a huge question and you veterans must be rolling your eyes, but as I said I am new just starting out and doing this on my own.

Thanks for your time

rv8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:34 AM   #2

Well, you're not poor, either...:shock:

I wouldn't even bother with the kit lens if you could afford better lenses.

I think the top 2 lenses I'd like to have is the EF-s 17-55 f/2.8 IS ... (pretty new but I think it'll be a great lens) and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

My third one would be a special lens... the ef 85 f/1.2 , the sigma 120-300 f/2.8, the sigma 150mm MACRO, or a super wide 10-20mm zoom (sigma or canon).

But I'm a very long way from owning any of these lenses

However, it sounds like you'd want a longer-than-200mm focal length (wildlife)... I think the sigma 100-300 f/4 is a good alternative - or the sigma 120-300 if you can afford it .
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 1:57 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Every lens is a trade-off in terms of the variables involved: Sharpness, build quality, chromatic aberration, distortion, vignetting, size, weight, price, image stabilisation, focus speed, bokeh, etc, etc, etc.

There is no one lens which is good at all of them. You need to figure it out for yourself and the best way is to buy a reasonable quality cheap lens and go out and shoot a few thousand frames. The kit lens will do that just fine.

So I would suggest you start with the kit lens and use it for a few months. Learn about photography; what you can and can't do with the kit lens. Discover what kind of photography you really want to do and what you have a talent for.

If you gave all the experienced members here $10,000 to spend on equipment we'd all buy something that suits our needs and photographic style, but you would be surprised at how little overlap there would be in what we chose. After 3-6 months of shooting you'll know what you need and be able to make your own decision.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 3:30 AM   #4

peripatetic wrote:
A long story....

I agree, don't invest to heavily in lenses, before you really know what you need. Get the kit lens, and a "cheap" telezoom, like sigma's 70-300 APO, and start snapping for a couple of months. In time you find out what you really need.

I myself did what you want to do a couple of years back, I did spendt a fortune, bought a 10D, 3 Sigma EX lenses (20 mm prime, 24-70 F2.8 and a 70-200 F2.8 ), A top of the line Metz (54mz3) flash, all stuffed in a Lowepro minitrekker AW backpack.

I'm glad i did, and still use these lenses. But with hindsight, i maybe could have bought some things different. The flash is nice to have, but a simpler model like a Canon 420 EX would have been enough. And a 70-200, is nice, but not range enough for some of the photograpy i do. As a "cheap" fix, i bought 2 extenders for the 70-200, a 1.4x and a 2x model. the 1.4 works pretty well, but the 2X extender needs a pretty big bump in aperture to get reasonbly sharp.

If i would have to start all over again i probably get a Sigma 50-500 or a Canon 100-400 "L" instead.

Last year i added 2 lenses, a simple canon 50mm F1.8 prime for shooting at night, and a nice super wide angle, Sigma's 10-20, because i needed something wider than the 20 mm i already had.
This year (tomorrow) i'll be getting a Sigma 50-500 and a 30D, an then my setup wil be complete. (i would love to get a Sigma 300-800, but at 6.000 euro, a bit out of my league)
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:02 PM   #5

I would agree with the, "get a general lens first and see what you want later" but I don't think buying a kit lens is a nice choice when:

1) you know you're going to get a better lens
and
2) you actually have the money for the better lens

That's one hundred dollars right there... it'll eventually become a one hundred dollar paper weight. I only have the kit lens and the sigma 30mm but I try my absolute hardest to stay away from the kit lens. It just really feels different once you buy a lens that feels a lot better and can even best the kit lens (although that shouldn't be terribly hard to do).

Yeah yeah, people (including myself) will say the kit lens can be pretty sharp at small apertures...but just ask the same people if they actual use the kit lens a lot...

I would suggest going with a higher quality general lens, such as:

1) EF-s 17-85 IS
2) EF-s 17-55 f/2.8 IS
3) Sigma 17-70 Macro
4) Sigma 18-50 f/2.8

If you are really clueless about what you want, I'd limit the list to 1 or 3.

I don't think there are many people that will find general purpose lenses absolutely useless... and when you do have to use them, you'll feel better that it's a quality lens.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:42 PM   #6

BoYFrMSpC schreef:
Quote:
I would agree with the, "get a general lens first and see what you want later" but I don't think buying a kit lens is a nice choice when:

1) you know you're going to get a better lens
and
2) you actually have the money for the better lens

That's one hundred dollars right there... it'll eventually become a one hundred dollar paper weight. I only have the kit lens and the sigma 30mm but I try my absolute hardest to stay away from the kit lens. It just really feels different once you buy a lens that feels a lot better and can even best the kit lens (although that shouldn't be terribly hard to do).

Yeah yeah, people (including myself) will say the kit lens can be pretty sharp at small apertures...but just ask the same people if they actual use the kit lens a lot...

I would suggest going with a higher quality general lens, such as:

1) EF-s 17-85 IS
2) EF-s 17-55 f/2.8 IS
3) Sigma 17-70 Macro
4) Sigma 18-50 f/2.8

If you are really clueless about what you want, I'd limit the list to 1 or 3.

I don't think there are many people that will find general purpose lenses absolutely useless... and when you do have to use them, you'll feel better that it's a quality lens.
You're right to a certain point.

But the topic starter mentioned getting the most expensive 70-200 on the market, without knowing what he buys fot that money. i agree that it is a great lens, but to discover in 3 months that you would have rather bought a 100-400 L, because the reach is too short, is not fun. and selling such a lens second hand, can cost a lot more.

And the same is true for the other lenses, while their good general purpose lenses, But if you often shoot landscapes, you're probably better off with a real Ultra wide zoom, like Sigma's 10-20, Canon's 10-22 or tokina's 12-24, And if thats the case, you could better supplement it wit a 24/28-70 lens, like sigma's 24-70, or tamrons 28-75, Full f2.8 lenses.

If you know what you're buying you will appreciate it more.

Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote