Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 24, 2006, 8:12 PM   #1

from a B/S board from someone you didnt know?I am looking at buying a 100-300 f4 sigma lens for $700,now that is $200 plus tax cheaper than B&H($899).Now normally I would just buy it new but that is around $250+ in savings.It is supposedly 5 months old barely used and in mint condition,but I dont know him and he has only been on the site for 6 months.

So what do you think I should do -

Take the chance and save the money or

Go the safe route?

Thanks
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:45 AM   #2

If you value your money like I do, I'd be tempted to save for the extra amount of time and get a brand new lense. You also get a full manufacturer's warranty with it as opposed to one that's almost half up (if it's one year).
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:30 PM   #3

Personally, I would never buy anything used without first having a hands-on inspection. I have had good luck with used lenses but always bought locally.Of course there are lots of great deals on line, I'm just not the gambling type.

Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:53 PM   #4

Well the wife made up my mind and she bought me the new one from B&H today.
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:09 PM   #5

All the photo gear I have now were purchased "used" either from ebay or fm. I only purchase slightly used lenses from established sellers with excellent feedback from both sites. So far so good...here's my loot:

Canon: 20D, 18-55mm kit lens, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 10-22mm f3.5-4.5, 1.4x extender II, 2x extender, two 580EX flashes

Sigma: 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC, 150mm EX DG Macro
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:34 PM   #6
NHL

Striderxl wrote:
Quote:
Well the wife made up my mind and she bought me the new one from B&H today.
Lucky man!!! :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:02 AM   #7

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
All the photo gear I have now were purchased "used" either from ebay or fm. I only purchase slightly used lenses from established sellers with excellent feedback from both sites. So far so good...here's my loot:

Canon: 20D, 18-55mm kit lens, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 10-22mm f3.5-4.5, 1.4x extender II, 2x extender, two 580EX flashes

Wow! That is a very good selection. How much less did you pay for these used lenses compared to say B&H prices? 10% less or more?

Were these lenses still under warranty? What would happen if you needed to get them repaired or exchanged?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 2:47 PM   #8

harana wrote:
Quote:
AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:

Wow! That is a very good selection. How much less did you pay for these used lenses compared to say B&H prices? 10% less or more?

Were these lenses still under warranty? What would happen if you needed to get them repaired or exchanged?

I have not had any problems with warranty before. This is my 2nd 70-200mm f2.8 IS lens...the first one had the infamous image stabilization assembly replaced by Canon under warranty...even when I didn't have "paperwork" on the lens. Canon seems to be more customer friendly as far as warranty work goes even if you don't have ANY paperwork...just as long as you can justify approximately when the lens was original purchased.

I also had Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and Sigma 20mm f1.8 lenses calibrated under warranty w/o any "paperwork".

The trick in getting used lenses is to get a Canon lens with a recent date code to qualify for Canon warranty, if the seller doesn't give you original receipts. For Sigma lenses, make sure you're getting one with a 4yr US warranty card, even if you don't get a receipt. With all the gear I purchased "used", I saved about 25 to 40% off B&H pricing.

Examples:

Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS - $1000 shipped. Lens came in MINT condition with "UT" date code, has all warranty papers,original receipt, Canon original packaging (box).

Canon 580EX flashes, $300 shipped, MINT, in original packaging.

As a general rule, I find sellers in fm to be more honest and upfront about the stuff they're selling than in ebay. Although I purchased a couple or so from ebay, like my flashes, I would tend to purchase more from fm than in ebay.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote