Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:36 AM   #1

I cannot decide between these two lenses for my canon 5d.

I have read reviews stating that the 24-105 is not as good as the 24-70 in terms of sharpness and color reproduction.

However, I kinda like the small size of the 24-105 over the 24-70, because I want to buy a walk-around lens.

But then again, I also want to shoot low-light so the 2.8 would be better for that.

The main issue however is sharpness and color. Which of the two lenses provides me with that? Could you point out any reviews if you know any?
photov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:55 PM   #2

I thought 24-105 is as good if not better than 24-70 in terms of IQ. Here is an excerpt from a review:

Quote:
In fact the resolution results beat those from the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 USM L and match the EF 28-70mm f/2.8
Here is the full review:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...4_is/index.htm

Also read the reviews on this site:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...hp?product=295

Anyhow, I went with the 24-105. But if you think speed is more important than the reach go for the 24-70.

YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 8:18 PM   #3

YunusEmre wrote:
Quote:
Anyhow, I went with the 24-105. But if you think speed is more important than the reach go for the 24-70.
How do you like 24-105on your 30D?

Is it wide enough for the indoor pictures on the wide end?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:49 AM   #4

It is wide enough for me. It would be nice to have a wider lens at times (like when you need to take a picture of a very large group of people, or you want to compose your shot with some other subjects in your shot), but I think I can live with it. As it is my first L I am so impressed with it I have no words to describe it.

Alas, there is one catch. I had to exchange my first 24-105 as the first one had really bad front focus. I hope I will get the replacement today and will test it also. If it has problems too, I'll send it to Canon for recalibration. So if you decide to get a 24-105 make sure you test it for focus at different focal lengths and uncharacteristic softness @ 24mm + f/4.0. When I ordered mine I was mentally ready to return it for a replacement, but it still hurts to part with it :sad:

YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:28 PM   #5

Definitely test the 24-105L if you get one. My first one I sent back to the retailer. The second one I sent to the factory...and a second time...and a third time. It is still there. Each time I tested the lens against my 18-55, 17-85 and 70-300. All of these lenses performed better, at a variety of focal lengths, than the 24-105L.
rndrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 6:30 PM   #6

photov wrote:
Quote:
I cannot decide between these two lenses for my canon 5d.

I have read reviews stating that the 24-105 is not as good as the 24-70 in terms of sharpness and color reproduction.

However, I kinda like the small size of the 24-105 over the 24-70, because I want to buy a walk-around lens.

But then again, I also want to shoot low-light so the 2.8 would be better for that.

The main issue however is sharpness and color. Which of the two lenses provides me with that? Could you point out any reviews if you know any?
I have both of these lenses, and I prefer the 24-105L. Image quality of both lenses is superb, and you should really base your selection on features rather than some irrelavent perceived difference in image quality between the two.

I prefer the 24-105L over the 24-70L on my 5D because the 70 just doesn't have enough reach in many situations.

And for low-light situations, it of course depends on whether your subjects are static. For static subjects, the low-light performance of the 24-105L is superior to the 24-70L.

Bottom line is that these are really two different tools, each with unique strengths. So choose the right tool by knowing the job at hand.

Hope this helps,
Chris M
http://www.imagineimagery.com
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote