Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 1, 2006, 9:49 AM   #11

Your best bang for the buck for your needs would be the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC lens...as NHL has already mentioned. I was in the same dilemma you were in when I had my Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 as my everyday lens...28mm on a 1.6 crop DSLR is just not wide enough for group shots...especially in a small room. So I replaced my Tammy with this Sigma lens and I could not be happier. It's even sharper than my Tamron.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 9:55 AM   #12

Okay, the Sigma 12-24 has me a little worried about corner softness. I've read multiple times now where people have to get 2 or 3 lenses before they get a "good" one. Plus not sure how important it is having the curved lense stick out preventing certain filters from being used.

But it does sound like the perfect complementary lense to my 28-135. Instead of just buying it online, perhaps I'll go to a retailer and test it first hand and take some test shots.

IMO, the Sigma 18-50 has too much overlap, even though it seems like a much better walkaround lense.
kmorness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 10:02 AM   #13

Here's an idea...get the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC, sell your Canon 28-135mm IS for about $300 or so, and get a Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro lens. There you go...you'll now have a lens that will fit better as a walk-around lens and another lens with more reach for your outdoor shooting. Both lenses are "best bang for the buck" lenses.

Review of the Sigma 70-300mm lens vs other 70-300mm lenses: http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/70300s
Old May 1, 2006, 1:59 PM   #14

A friend of mine at work has a 10D as well with the Canon 17-40mm lense, so he's going to bring it in and I'll check it out to see if it'll suit my purposes. He has no problems using it as an everyday default lense.

But, I am leaning towards the 12-24mm lense. It'll complement my 28-135mm lense nicely, and one day in the future, I may look at getting a 100-400mm lense, but judging from the type of pictures I take... not so likely.
Old May 1, 2006, 3:30 PM   #15
Super Moderator

I very much doubt you'll notice corner softness on a 10D or any crop camera.

If you go to a FF camera it's a lot more likely, but then again it's the only super-wide for FF anyway so you don't have a choice.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 3:59 PM   #16
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Again I agree with peripatetic 100%!

Most people who test the 12-24mm EX are very unfamilar with super wide since this is probably their 1st lens (and experience with one)...
1. If one tests this lens at close distance (especially indoor), there's a big distance difference between the center and the edges of the frame when the angle of view is so large (i.e. base of an obtuse triangle against its two L/R corners).
2. In the constrained space of indoor one also happens to shoot wide opened with minimum DOF...

-> Outdoor with far away landscape where this type lens is mostly use, and I've tried to look for it, I can not find this softness which some people talk about!
http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/Revi..._f4.5-5.6.html
http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/image/40294072

This image @ the Caesar was taken practically wide open outdoor with varying distances:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 4:59 PM   #17

NHL wrote:
Quote:
peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Again I agree with peripatetic 100%!

Most people who test the 12-24mm EX are very unfamilar with super wide since this is probably their 1st lens (and experience with one)...
1. If one tests this lens at close distance (especially indoor), there's a big distance difference between the center and the edges of the frame when the angle of view is so large (i.e. base of an obtuse triangle against its two L/R corners).
2. In the constrained space of indoor one also happens to shoot wide opened with minimum DOF...

-> Outdoor with far away landscape where this type lens is mostly use, and I've tried to look for it, I can not find this softness which some people talk about!
Quote:

So wait, are you saying the 12-24mm is not suitable for closeup group shots? To summarize what I am looking for:

1.A wide lense that will allow me to take indoor group photos.

2. A wide lense suitable for outdoor wide landscape backgrounds with or without people.

3. Something that will be fully compatible and a good lense on a FF future Canon camera.

I am toying with either the 12-24mm sigma (Popeye), or the Canon 17-40mm. The prices are about the same (Canon currently has a $50 rebate). I'm also thinking about getting a SpeedLite 580EX.

I would also like to get a smaller tripod, something I could actually fit inside my camera backpack -- it currently has only one lense, so I should have plenty of room after getting a second lense and flash. Are there any decent tripods that would fit a 10D properly and fit inside a camera bag -- like 12" long by 3-4" in diameter?

Thanks for all the great advice so far. I've learned much in the process and getting closer to a final decision.

Old May 1, 2006, 8:11 PM   #18
NHL

kmorness wrote:
Quote:
So wait, are you saying the 12-24mm is not suitable for closeup group shots? To summarize what I am looking for:

1.A wide lense that will allow me to take indoor group photos.

2. A wide lense suitable for outdoor wide landscape backgrounds with or without people.

3. Something that will be fully compatible and a good lense on a FF future Canon camera.
Yea - but you are not using the 12-24 as a super wide anymore are you... (not @ 12mm, but at a narrower suitable angle)?
-> Like any superwide you''ll run into the risk of WA distortion @ the wider angle up close regardless who make the lens (be it primes or zooms) :O

You should read up on perspective distortion first - The 12-24 is quite good as a rectilinear (even on a full-frame), but you're using the wrong tool for the job here :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 11:05 PM   #19

Okay, here is my preliminary final decision:

Speedlite 580EX. This so I can take pictures in dark areas. I heard from my friend who knows a lot more about photography than me that it uses a nice big infrared sensor that will essentially eliminate focus hunting issues. For less than $300, it is a worthy investment because the integrated flash is terrible!

Canon 17-40. While the Sigma 12-24mm lense is attractive, it doesn't seem to be suitable for indoor closeups of friends... a common target of my camera. Furthermore, with potential future and current compatibility possibilities (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm not confident that a Sigma lense is going to interact perfectly with my new flash system, or a future Canon FF digital. Also the 17-40... while an f/4 stop is not suitable for low light areas... should be rectified by the much better flash, no? A lot of people have suggested I get a Sigma 18-50mm, but that just basically overlaps with my lense, plus the compatibility worry factor. Anyway, the 17-40 seems most suitable for what I'm looking for. Please flame me if I'm wrong here... and I would actually be willing to get the Canon 16-35mm /f2.8 for twice the price if someone can truthfully tell me that it'll be substantially better for my needs. :O

I know NHL has really been pushing me to get a Sigma lense! :|

In addition, I would like to geta set of decent filters.... seeing I shamelessly have NONE. My friend showed me some photos with polarized filters, and it really makes a nice difference. Because my current 28-135mm lense has great mid-range quality, it also has a 72mm filter requirement. If I pick up the 17-40mm lense... it has a 77mm filter requirement. So I looked and discovered that there are filter adapters, so for $6, I can get a 72mm-77mm adapter, then buy a single set of filters at the 77mm size. Do you think this is wise... or should I just plan for a larger filter size instead -- the BIGMA has a 86mm filter, but don't know if I would ever get anything that big! I hate to waste money on filters though, and my gut says I should just get a set of 77mm filters. What do you pros do with filters on different sized lenses? Is this a bad idea?

Further more, I have no idea what is considered a good filter or not. They seem to range in prices and quality. What would you guys recommend for a techno-newbie like myself?

And another thing I keep seeing is that everyone should get the 50mm 1.8 prime. For $70, it's a fantastic lense, and because it'll be my first prime, I'll get to learn some new stuff. Sold!

Finally, I'm set on getting a new tripod... my current one is a Titan II QT II-350 (I bet it's crap), which I vaguely remember paying $30 for at a retail store on sale, and it compacts to 22"long with a 4"diameter, it stands about 5.5' maximum before you start to give up stability with the 10D attached. I believe I purchased it over6 years ago with my state of the art Kodak DC-4800, which is stashed in my glove box for car accidents!

I would love to find a tripod that would compact to 10" long with a 3" diameter, that would stand about 3" or so in height, so it could fit in my back pack. I'm not big on camera bags that say "CANON CAMERA BAG" in bold print inviting someone to steal it. But if no realistic tripods would fit inside my current bag, then I'd be willing to get a bigger bag that would store the camera, a couple lenses, a camcorder, some small accessories, and a small tripod. Any suggestions on this goal? And my goal is "hide everything in a non-descript bag".

After that I'm set. With a 17-40mm, 28-135mm, 50mm prime, a 550 Speedlite, and my 10D with smaller tripod, I should have a getup that is respectable for all purpose techno-newbie photography -- a bunch of friends in a dark club, sight-seeing in Europe, wedding photography for our wedding next year. Maybe I should get a good photography book too, seeing I have no actual "I learned something in a class/book" experience. Any recommendations there?

For those that may be curious, my fiancee and I are about to leave Los Angeles, CA and move to Oxford, UK to essentially experience Europe with a heavy focus on travel and get married next summer. It's time to do the upgrades now, because pricing for all this stuff in the UK is significantly higher.

And again, thanks so much for all the great advice! I really do appreciate it.
Old May 2, 2006, 9:05 AM   #20

kmorness wrote:
Quote:
Okay, here is my preliminary final decision:

Speedlite 580EX. This so I can take pictures in dark areas. I heard from my friend who knows a lot more about photography than me that it uses a nice big infrared sensor that will essentially eliminate focus hunting issues. For less than $300, it is a worthy investment because the integrated flash is terrible!

Do you mean a 550EX? You can't get a 580EX for less than $300...at least not a brand new one. I bought a couple of used 580EX's at $300 a pop via ebay last Christmas.