Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 2, 2006, 9:23 AM   #21

Oops, it's $365. There is currently a $20 rebate from Canon on it.
kmorness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 11:39 AM   #22

kmorness wrote:
Quote:
NHL wrote: Yes - I have both the Sigma 12-24 EX HSM (and the 10D)

kmorness wrote:
So wait, are you saying the 12-24mm is not suitable for closeup group shots?
Now I am confused. For my 30D I was thinking of getting Sigma 12-24 to use for indoor large group photos along with some landscape photography.

Why would 12-24 not be good for large group shots on a 1.6x cropped camera:?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 12:49 PM   #23
NHL

harana wrote:
Quote:
Why would 12-24 not be good for large group shots on a 1.6x cropped camera:?
See here: http://www.camera.canon.com.my/archi...art6/index.htm

It has nothing to do with the Sigma - People use this type of lenses (all super-wides) for their larger perspective effect which is great for landscape but exagerate proportion on people
-> Try to take a portrait of a person up close with the kit lens even @ 18mm for example - It just does not look right (unless you're after the distorted effect of a WA)!

The 12-24EX is a rectilinear so even though the image seems distorted, the straight lines on the object(s) remained straight on the image...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 2:21 PM   #24

So the results of my research, this is what I ended up purchasing in the end from BHPhoto:

[align=left]Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens
$679.95
[/align]

[align=left]Canon 580EX Flash
$379.95
[/align]

[align=left]Canon Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3

[align=left]$132.95
[/align]

[align=left]Bogen / Manfrotto 718SHB Compact Digi Tripod with 3-Way Head

$99.95

Tiffen 72mm-77mm Step-Up Ring (Lens to Filter)
$19.95

Tiffen 77mm Photo Essentials Filter Kit
$112.95

Lowepro LOCTAWB CompuTrekker AW Backpack
$129.95

For my needs, the 17-40mm was just fine, and I'm comfortable paying more for that lense than I would for a Sigma lense for compatibility reasons. I went into a local store that had a recti-linear 12-24 lense (not Sigma), and it definitely looked a little odd when you took closeup pictures of merchandise on the wall, even though it was perspectively corrected. Canon has a bunch of rebates going on right now, and so I'll save a bit of money on that. The other stuff will allow me to actually learn about photography, such as the timer control and flash. I chose not to get the 50mm prime, because I just don't see myself using it often.

The Lowepro backpack is phenomenal!!! I love it, so comfortable and will basically become my much upgraded travel electronic gadget bag. It'll hold a laptop, SLR camera + lenses, camcorder, Nintendo DS, other gadgets and cell phones. There's a bigger one too, and Ialmost got it, but decided against it because it would be overkill for group outings.
[/align][/align]
text_editor.focus();
Old May 5, 2006, 8:33 AM   #25

If you can afford it, the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 L is the finest wide angle zoom lens available for Canon cameras, period, end of story. If you can't afford it, the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is an excellent lens for the money. I own both and the Canon 16-35 is just unbelievably sharp with wonderful contrast and color and great build. You certainly get what you pay for with this stunning lens. Worth every penny in my estimation.
looscanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 10:57 AM   #26

Yeah, that was my initial question way back when. Although, I was comforted when I was told the flash unit will improve the performance of the 17-40mm lense -- basically 17-40mm with flash would be better than 16-35mm without... and I've heard from multiple people (one on this very forum, and a salesguy that the 17mm is a sharper lense) -- so subjective on most counts. When I compared the two, by taking what I would assume to be a common group photo, the 17mm was good enough for my needs, so I just can't justify the extra $600 or so for marginally better DOF and the 1 stop improvement.