Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 11, 2006, 12:21 PM   #31

When we are talking about DOF and landscape shots, unless you are shooting the buildings where one is much closer than the other DOF is not important!

Take a look at that sample of the train station or whatever it is. Why left side of the building is sharp and right side is not? This shot is obviously (probably) taken with small f-stop (f8 maybe) and DOF shouldn't be an issue. It is a FLAT object (front at least)!

Again I've taken many shots of the buildings at close range even at f4. There is some softness at the corners but nothing abnormal.

I really do not care about optics theory - I trust my eyes only. Don't let the dealer play with you! :evil:

Did you see dealer test shots?

Check this post with some 10-20 shots. First one I've took at my dealer. Even at the extreme corner picture is still quite good. You can do the same thing. Take a laptop (if you have one), go to dealer and let him give you a chance to try couple of samples and do the comparison by yourself. If you are happy with your lens you wouldn't ask a question here on this forum.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 2:22 PM   #32
NHL

GM2006

You're taking it too personal... :-)
-> We're not talking about 'your' posted images which are correct in every way, especially the train station picture

This image from Fisheye is the one I'm (or we) having problem with:

This is like shooting down a tunnel with a super-wide angle. How does one expect the near sides not to be out of focus when the focus point is set was on what look like infinity (i.e. the far building in the middle of the picture)?

Your posted images are very different and all flattened out on one plane - I'm not saying there's nothing wrong, but the above image is just a bad example to judge a lens on (unlike the image of the train station) - The shot is not even squared since it was taken from the left side of the "tunnel"!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 3:13 PM   #33

Very preliminary test results:

- Again overall softness and increased softness on the right side (picture 0+1+2)

- taking a picture with the left side of the camera down (picture 3)and then with the right side down shows again softness on the right side (down, picture 4)

All pictures were taken at 10mm with an Av of 8.0,1/125and the focus set to the hyperfocal distance (0.6m). Thus everything beyond 0,6m should be rather sharp than soft.

This time, the sharpness cannot be caused by motion blurr or wrong focussing.

Regards,

fisheye

Attached Images

Fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 3:14 PM   #34

picture 1
Attached Images

Old May 11, 2006, 3:14 PM   #35

picture 2
Attached Images

Old May 11, 2006, 3:14 PM   #36

picture 3
Attached Images

Old May 11, 2006, 3:15 PM   #37

picture 4
Attached Images

Old May 11, 2006, 3:22 PM   #38

And here's a "tunnel" picture (compare the grass on the left to the grass on the right side!):

Attached Images

Old May 11, 2006, 3:52 PM   #39

Hey NHL :-)

Quote:
You're taking it too personal...
I am sorry it looks that way! I am just trying to tell fisheye the fact: Your lens is BAD, do not waste time, return it.

Not all of the pictures posted are mine. Train station is not my picture but somebody elses taken with Sigma 10-20, and even that one (which is taken in ideal condition) has extreme right sidesoftness.

I was also refering to fisheys picture of the street. That picture is not anything unusual or extreme for any lens, including wide angle. Do not find ofended by me saying, but you have to have this lens to know what it can do and how. I've taken many similar shots and there is no right or left side or overall softness problem. You have to zoom in to 1:1 to see some softness. In fisheys picture you see it even when picture is reduced ... and you can take your glases off as well! :-)

When I look at the fisheys sample pictures I feel like I am looking at a sample from 10$ onetime use film camera. :shock:

Old May 11, 2006, 6:35 PM   #40

http://www.pbase.com/kazfujieda/image/57203796/original