Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 8, 2006, 11:19 PM   #11

Here is one I just shot with the kit lens. IMO, it could be sharper -- I'd like the bigger rock in the background sharp too. It could be my technique. How would you shoot it to make it sharp??

Attached Images

Ladythump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 3:41 AM   #12
Super Moderator

You're confusing depth-of-field with lens sharpness.

To get greater DOF you need to reduce your aperture. Try f16 to start with. Of course you lose light when you stop down so you may need a tripod (which is why landscape photographers carry tripods around so much).

If you google the issue you will find a great deal of information.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 1:04 PM   #13

I can recommend what I have and it is Sigma 17-70. After some 1000 shots I am still happy with it! I've paid $380 @ B&H. There is nothing about this lens I can complain. It is much better than kit lens. Has very good range and macro capability. It is sharp and has good contrast and color.
GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 3:58 PM   #14

I took the same pic (with a tripod) on several different f/stops. When I get home, I will upload the f/11 pic. I understand DOF, I dont' think I know how to focus for it though. hmmm......
Old May 9, 2006, 5:10 PM   #15
NHL

Ladythump wrote:
Quote:
I took the same pic (with a tripod) on several different f/stops. When I get home, I will upload the f/11 pic. I understand DOF, I dont' think I know how to focus for it though. hmmm......
I kind of realize you took the picture with a tripod (1/5s and closed down all the way)
-> What could have happened is the flowing water 'messed' up the AF - The camera gave up after 250ms especially when you are in any of the AI focus mode.
In single AF the camera won't release the shutter until the focus is confirmed... :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 6:13 PM   #16

Do I have single AF capability on my camera??
Old May 9, 2006, 7:12 PM   #17

Yes, you do have single AF capabilty. But try manual focusing instead. That way you don't have to hit and lock on with autofoucs and recompose, which can be a hassle from a tripod. DOF works in such a way that you get a bit of sharp DOF in front of your focus point but a lot more DOF behind it. So experiment a bit to find your best focus point for the particular aperature you're using. For simplicity's sake, you should experiment on a day when there aren't harsh shadows or other big exposure challenges. If you can find a place where there is a subject in the foreground, other elements in the middle range and still others in the distance, that should do the trick. Forgive me if I'm covering ground that's familiar to you.The 18-55 has its share of issues. It's to be expected from a $100 lens. I chucked it in favor of the Canon 17-40L, which I love. That's over $600, which is more than you are willing to spend. But you can find a used one in great shape on any of a number of online forums. I don't recommend eBay, because that's a seller's market.*
stevefossimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 11:17 AM   #18

Thanks. I'll do some working with the lens I have ......
Old May 11, 2006, 4:53 PM   #19

Hi,

The lens is fine and so is your picture. It is in your editing. All the info is there waiting for you to bring it out for you to see. You don't need a new or different lens, Unless you want to get one... :-)

bluwing
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:11 AM   #20

Here is an example of what bluwing is talking about.
Attached Images

bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote