Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 8, 2006, 1:10 AM   #1

Will the sigma 28-200 work with my canon 300d, Im passing this camera on to my hubby and want to buy him a walk about lens with a bit of a zoom.

This lens

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2006, 4:04 PM   #2

Hi,

The Sigma 28-200mm will work with the 300D. But that one will NOT work. You need the Newer model. The one with the red ring and that uses a 62mm filter. It might work in manual mode, But that would be guessing. And before you ask it is too old to have rechipped by Sigma.

I had the older version and it worked great for about two weeks. Then it would not work with my 300D in any mode. I sold it on eBay as a film only lens and got the newer version. Have not had a single problem with it even in -49 degree weather.

bluwing
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 8:22 AM   #3

I have a rebel xt and im am thinking about purchasing the sigma 28-200mm f3.5-5.6 DG macro lens. so i would need to make sure to purchase the one with the red ring and takes 62mm filters like the one showed here? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...85768?n=502394

and another question about this lens is that its called a macro lens, does that mean its just for macro shots or would it be a good walk around lens (for far away shots, sports shots, and just what ever comes up). and one more question, how is the quality of this lens? maybe some test shots with this lens would be great. would it be worth spending more on the canon model?
badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 5:06 PM   #4

Hi,

I use my Sigma 28-200mm For a all purpose lens. Landscape,Events,Airshows and Car shows. Here isa shot from this years Continental Cup Ski Jump. It was only -49degrees. This was the record jump. He has not landed yet. 465 feet if I remember correctly.

The one that you listed from Amazon is the one the I have. I was one of the Markers for the event, So I could get close to the jumpers as they went by.

bluwing

Attached Images

Old May 18, 2006, 11:51 PM   #5

Awesome shot/perspective bluwing!!!!!!
CheungWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 8:37 AM   #6

thanks. amazing shot!
Old May 19, 2006, 2:09 PM   #7

Well i finally found a somewhat local camera store that did carry the lens but didnt not have one in stock but i did order this lens and im very excited about it and hopefully in a week or so I'll have it:-)
Old May 19, 2006, 7:09 PM   #8

Hi,

I think you will like it a lot. The nice thing it is small enough and light enough for a good walk around lens. I also do not use an UV Filter. I use Skylight 1A on all my lenses. That picture, I used the skylight filter with a circular polarizer over it. Good luck and enjoy the lens when you get it.

bluwing