Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 11, 2006, 9:59 PM   #1

Hi,

I traded up from the Panasonic FZ10 to canon 350D and need some lens advice. I will be going to Africa in a couple of months and travelling through South Africa, Botswana, Zambia and Namibia. My plan was to take the FZ10 for wildlife telephoto shots and use the 350D for landscape photos although I still may get the Sigma 70-300 APO Macro. What I really need help on is what wide angle lens I should get for landscape photos. I currently have the 18-55 kit and am considering the Sigma 17-70 (better quality than the kit + macro) or sigma 10-20.
The question is the 17-70 going to be wide enough for landscape or would the 10-20 be better.
Just to point out my budget probably wont allow for me to get the 10-20, 17-70 and 70-300.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2006, 12:38 AM   #2

This is really tough question and I do not believe anybody can answer it. I have both Sigma 17-70 and 10-20 and if you ask me I would go with 17-70. It is just more usefull. It would be nice to have 10-20 as well but 17-70 is more general lens. When I compare my samples, 17-70 is just a bit sharper. Sigma 10-20 could be used but not as much as other one.

GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 2:51 AM   #3

Hi Tree Monkey

I live in South Africa so I have some sort of idea of what you going to see.

I have Canon's 17-85 and it is my most used lens in my bag - 17mm is definately wide enough for 99% of landscape shots, therefore I recommend the Sigma.

What I would go for is a decent tele lens. If you traveling all the way to Africa, you will want the best quality wildlife photos possible. For animals, the 70-300 should be fine, but if you want to shoot birds, you going to need something longer.

The FZ10 would be perfect for macro shots though.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 2:31 AM   #4

Hi,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I have decied to go with the sigma 17-70mm and get the Canon 70-300 IS. I figured the 17-70 would be a better long term investment and I havent been very happy with the performance of the kit lens. My only issue is trying to get my hands on a good copy of the Canon 70-300 IS as most places (in Sydney) dont seem to have them in stock.

Cheers

Treemonkey
Old May 22, 2006, 2:07 AM   #5

Hi Treemonkey

Your lens choices look pretty good. Try http://www.bhphotovideo.com/if you have some time before you go to Africa - it will probably save you some money too.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 2:59 AM   #6

John, will you please let me know how the Canon 70-300mm IS works for you? I've been looking into purchasing this lens for my XT as well (currently only have the kit lens)? It would be much appreciated.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 11:02 PM   #7

Hi,

The sigma I can get for a similar price in Oz but the Canon is a lot less at B&H. The problem with buying it from b&H is the import duty which I have had issues with in the past and also it is difficult to return the lens if there is a fault.

Treemonkey

JohnReid wrote:
Quote:
Hi Treemonkey

Your lens choices look pretty good. Try http://www.bhphotovideo.com/if you have some time before you go to Africa - it will probably save you some money too.