Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 18, 2006, 10:23 PM   #1

i was wondering if there is any way to get a 'true' fisheye effect with the new dslr's, as i need to use one for skateboarding photo's and am cautious about buying a lens that will not be wide enough due to the 1.6x magnification..

any help/ideas?
unpunkryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2006, 5:50 PM   #2
NHL

unpunkryan wrote:
Quote:
any help/ideas?
FYI - http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...8_35/index.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 8:38 AM   #3

I have two that I find satisfactory but which is best depends on the situation. The Peleng 8mm on 1.6x crop cameras leaves black corners and a band of flare at the edge so you have to crop a bit unless you are going to at least partially defish the image using sowfware like PTLens. The Zenitar 16mm is a lot less wide but covers the format and still is a lot wider than rectilinear lenses of similar focal length. I have no experience with skateboarding but have galleries for both lenses.

http://www.pbase.com/dougsmit/peleng

http://www.pbase.com/dougsmit/zenitar

If I had only one, it would be the Peleng.
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 6:33 PM   #4

yeah that zenitar definately doesn't look wide enough at all.

on the other hand, is the Peleng of good quality? and do i need an adapter for it?

also, does anyone know if Canon's or Sigma's fisheyes are any good?

thanks!
Old May 21, 2006, 6:45 PM   #5

A 100% crop from the center of a Peleng image: Sharp? Not an L. I have no idea how this compares to the Sigma. There is no Canon fisheye in this focal length.

Old May 24, 2006, 12:40 PM   #6

does anyone know if the sigma 8mm circular fisheye looks any good with the 1.6x crop? i've been reading and it seems that most photographers are using the 15mm fisheyes to defish them and make it as a wide angle lens.the point of me buying one is to get the very wide fov and the distortion also. And i think i'd have to order that peleng from oversees and also find an adapter for it, which i'm not too keen about.. thanks for the info though, and if anyone has anything to say about those sigmas it'd be greatly appreciated.
Old May 24, 2006, 2:16 PM   #7
NHL

I don't know anything about this lens, but it seems like there are several cropped digital users (Canon) samples over here:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/8...rcular_fisheye
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browse?id=17385
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browse?id=21418
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 4:14 PM   #8

unpunkryan wrote:
Quote:
does anyone know if the sigma 8mm circular fisheye looks any good with the 1.6x crop? i've been reading and it seems that most photographers are using the 15mm fisheyes to defish them and make it as a wide angle lens.the point of me buying one is to get the very wide fov and the distortion also. And i think i'd have to order that peleng from oversees and also find an adapter for it, which i'm not too keen about.. thanks for the info though, and if anyone has anything to say about those sigmas it'd be greatly appreciated.
Don't be terribly concerned about finding an adapter if you go for the Peleng. The standard package seems to be a lenswith M42 mount and Nikon F mount (they call it 'H' which is Russian for Nikon) both in the box. The one I bought through eBay included an M43/eos adapter but I see no reason you could not equally well use a Nikon/EOS adapter. As I understand it, the two provided adapters are unique to the lens but the M42/EOS one I got included was made in Japan and identical to the ones sold widely for $20. Remember the Peleng is what we call a 'pre-set' lens and has no auto diaphragm so there is no problem with electric connections.

Whatever fisheye you get, I suggest running a careful test to check the focus scale. At 8mm, the depth of field is great but there is still exactly one place where the focus is perfect. In the case of my Peleng, the index mark is very slightly (maybe 8mm) to the left of where it should be for best sharpness. All that means is I never shoot with the scale all the way to infinity. While you can complain that manufacturing standards should be perfect, the difference between focus on infinity and one meter is a very small distance. You can test to see what gives best results or just sit and complain about lousy manufacturing tolerances. Your choice.
Old May 25, 2006, 12:35 PM   #9

i figure i'm gonna go see if i can test out a few lenses to see if i like any of them, and if they aren't what i'm looking for or are too exspensive, i'll probably check out that peleng..

thanks for the info!(and the pictures also)
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:20 PM   #10

so i've decided after reading tons of info and reviews.. that i'm going to get a peleng. i'm still a little worried about the lens flare though, mostly because most of these pictures will be of skateboarding outside on sunny days... is there anything that i could do to avoid that?

also, where would be the best place to buy?

dougsmit where did you get yours?