Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 25, 2006, 9:43 PM   #1

Hi, I'm trying to find a good lens (for a 20D) for shooting surfing from the water (with a waterproof housing of course). Most professionals use a 15mm fisheye or similar. Obviously, on the 20D this will equate to 24 mm, which isn't particularly wide. The Canon 10-22 mm EFS lens would give similar coverage at full wide-angle, so appears to be an obvious choice. How does the 10-22 at 10 mm compare with the 15mm in terms of vignetting, sharpness etc? Any other options?
gardensurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2006, 9:27 PM   #2

You can not compare apples and oranges. The 15mm is a fisheye with intentional distortion and a much wider field of view than a similar lens of rectilinear design like the 10-22 or 14mm Canons even though the focal length is longer. I suggest you seek out sample shots of the lenses in question by searching Pbase and decide which best fits your needs: fish or no fish. After that decision is made, you can select a lens that fits your needs withing the selected group.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_15_28

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_s_10-22_35-45_usm

dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 4:46 PM   #3

Thanks Doug. I thought that might be the case. Are there any wider fisheyes out there than the 15mm? I'm not too sure if it would be wide enough on a 'cropped' sensorlike on the 20D.
gardensurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 6:07 PM   #4

The widest is the circular on full frame 8mm offered by Sigma and Peleng. I have the Peleng but it is manual focus so might be less desireable for use in a housing. 8mm fails to cover the full 1.6x crop format leaving black corners that must be cropped out or 'corrected' using a defish software. If you want it to cover the full sensor it is quite possible to use a 1.4x converter giving 11.2mm but this costs a stop of light and cropping is nearly as good for fisheye results and easier to control if you are using defish software. My gallery linked previously has examples done both ways. I usually partially defish to fill the format but rarely go all the way to rectilinear since that introduces what I consider worse distortions of round objects. Example below - compare head and window shapes:

dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote