Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 26, 2006, 9:17 PM   #1

Well, not really the first, but one of the better ones while learning the lens. It's mounted on my 20D.

I think I'm going to like this lens very much. It appears to be very sharp, at least at 400mm. That's where most of my shots have been so far. Color and contrast seem good to me. Bokah also looks good to me. IS works well, but the focus is slow unless you are already close.

One question though. Will it hurt the lens if I treat it like a push-pull zoom? It's faster to get it in the general area that way.

I do note that you still have to be able to get very close to birds to fill the frame - and I was hoping for a miracle...:G

I would appreciate any comments the quality of the photo as it pertains lens effect on the photo. I know I could have done better on my end.

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:32 AM   #2

Awesome shot!
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:44 PM   #3

The flower would have looked much better without the big ole bug in front of it... Otherwise a great shot!

H :G
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 6:11 AM   #4

bigboyhf:

:ak47:

Ron :homey:
Old Jun 9, 2006, 4:00 PM   #5

Ron,

i have the same lens, and like it a lot. it's quite sharp from f8 on up, and although the AF is a bit slower than Canon from what i've heard, it's not that bad, and you can speed it up a lot by simply turning the focus ring a bit ahead of the shot, so the AF doesn't have to move things as far. remember, you can use MF at any time with this lens. i haven't tried the "push-pull" thing with mine, since most of my shots are between 300 and 400mm anyway, but i suppose as long as you don't obstruct the zoom ring, it probably won't hurt it to zoom by pulling on the front body.

it's a pretty good lens forlonger-distance work (though as you're finding out, for wildlife, even 400mm isn't enough, and my next purchase WILL be a 2x converter!), and i've gotten some good results at distances between 25 and 75 yards. beyond 75 yards, depending on subject, the lens just isn't enough, and i've noticed the focus seems to be less precise, especially in marginal lighting. closer in, i've gotten some spectacularly clear, sharp shots from5 to15 yards.

as for the shot you posted, it's quite good, considering the light. this lens does like a lot of light, and doesn't do nearly as well on cloudy days or shooting subjects in deep shadow - at least my 30D doesn't think so! :lol:as you've noted the DOF for close-ups like this is pretty shallow, giving you a lot of bokeh, but the part that's in focus is sharp. if you can stop it down a bit to get more DOF, shots like this are a bit better, and you may need to bump the contrast just a touch for maximum effect, but the 80-400 is surprisingly good for close-up work.

hope you don't mind, i'm posting a couple of shots i took with mine, which show thedetail and clarity the lens can produce at minimum focusingdistances... both of these were shot at about 6-7 feet; the first was about f11, the second at f5.6 on a cloudy day. you can see the DOF isn't much, and in order to get up to f16 or higher, the 80-400 wants a lot of light!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 8:39 PM   #6

Squril,
I've been looking at your great photos. That's one of the reasons I chose the 80-400.
Great work by the way.
Here's a photo of a daylily from a cross I made 2 years ago - photo taken 6/8, (of course, with the 80-400):

Ron