Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 8, 2006, 5:52 PM   #11

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
One more thing, for real pece of mind, get camera/lens insured. For something like $50 per yr, it covers around $5000k of gear. Money well spent. And use the hood.
The insurance is the best advice. My policy was a little more expensive at $110 per year but it was also for $7000. I have since upgraded my policy to a business policy since I do some work for hire. It now cost me about $400 per year, but still well worth it. If you do any work for pay or bring anyone into your home for photographs you should get the business policy, otherwise know as an inland marine policy. It also includes some liability plus covers all your equipment no matter where you are.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 3:06 AM   #12

Putting a cheap bit of glass in front of a quality lens (or even a cheap one) makes no sense whatsover. However, the benefits or otherwise of using a high quality filter as additional protection along with a hood appear to be a personal preference issue. There will be some degredation of image quality and increased risk of flare but this will be minimal in reality.

The choice seems to be really down to the photographer. If they feel nervous about lens damage then it seems better for them to use a good quality filter and get out there and take photos without worry. Maybe after some time and usage, if no damage occurs to the filter, then they will have the confidence to take it off and rely on the hood. If you haven't managed to break the filter then why would you break the lens glass?

I originally started the thread as I had always been adised to fit a filter for protection. The issue with vignetting on the 17-85 convinced me not to bother. Now I've had the camera and lens for a couple of weeks my initial nervousness has disappeared and I'm quite happy to walk around with only the hood for protection.

My advise would now be to do without the filter unless going into dusty, sandy or salt water spray environments. Of course, without professional weather sealed camera and lenses then the issue in these situations would become everything else apart from the lens glass.

I'd also heartily endorse the advice about getting insurance. The only reason I'm now holding a nice new 30D with 17-85 lens is because my old 20D was fully insured and this paid for immediate replacement.
ariaudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 4:00 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Putting a cheap bit of glass in front of a quality lens (or even a cheap one) makes no sense whatsover. However, the benefits or otherwise of using a high quality filter as additional protection along with a hood appear to be a personal preference issue. There will be some degredation of image quality and increased risk of flare but this will be minimal in reality.
I agree completely. The other lens I got the expensive filter for was the 70-300 DO and it degraded image quality to a degree I would never have believed if I had not seen it. This doubtless has much to do with the diffractive optics of the lens. And curiously I found a couple of articles on the internet soon afterwards warning of extreme image degradation with filters and DO lenses.

I'm pretty sure it was a double-whammy of poor luck however. I would not expect those "pro" filters to cause significant image degradation on most lenses.

Another factor inmy decision not to use filters was my strong affinity forDXO optics. DXO profiles are constructed for the lens/camera combination, but obviously they would not be using filters- so any profiles applied by DXO would not be accurate, thus reducing the usefulness of the software.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote