Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 29, 2006, 10:53 AM   #1

Just about to order a 30D with a bundled 17-85 EF-S lens (my 20D just got stolen :sad and I wanted to get a 67mm filter to protect the lens.

I'm looking at Hoya Pro 1 Digital filters but can't make up my mind whether to get the UV or Protection filter. I'm also getting the lens hood but I'm still paranoid about damaging the lens as I can be rather clumsy at times :?

As far as I am aware there's no real need for a UV filter with the 30D apart from to protect the lens glass as the sensor filters UV anyway.

So, is there any advantage in getting a UV filter over the Protection filter?
ariaudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2006, 11:18 AM   #2

I never use filters for protection.

I just take care of my lenses.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 11:20 AM   #3

Not even in sandy, dusty or salt water spray conditions?
Old May 29, 2006, 11:29 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I got a HOYA Super HMC Pro1 UV(0) (super slim) filter when I bought the 17-85.

Then I discovered it causes pretty severe vignetting at 17mm! I thought about it and realised that I had never (in 15 years of casual use of my SLR) scrached or damaged a filter.

So I put the lens hood on, and left the filter off - 18 months on I still haven't damaged the lens surface, nor do I expect to. I spend a fair bit of time in Africa and haven't had any problems with dust damaging the lens surface. I have never stood out in salt spray, but I'd be pretty wary of doing that with the 20D anyway.

So I'm with Terry on this one. Those 2 pro filters @£40 each were a waste of money for me.

But the supposed advantage of a UV filter (from the back of the box) :

"This filter cuts all range of UV rays to give clearer and sharper pictures with less haze without affecting colour balance. Constant use for lens protection is recommended."

:blah:
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 11:37 AM   #5

I think you may have convinced me to forget the filter despite my clumsy tendancies. I've never actually damaged any filter I've owned so I guess I'm unlikely to damage the lense, especially with the hood fitted.

I had thought that the Hoya Pro 1 filters wouldn't caused vignetting on the 17-85 as they are so thin so your timely advice is very welcome indeed. That's the real killer for me so £40 saved!

Thanks!
Old May 29, 2006, 12:54 PM   #6

I avoid sandy, dusty or salt spray environments. I've packed up a few cameras in those environment, much less the lens!

Anyways, good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy your 17-85!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 2:08 PM   #7

I'm certainly looking forward to checking out the 17-85 and also the 30D.

The stolen 20D luckily only had the kit 18-55 lens fitted at the time. The camera bag wouldn't fit my Sigma 24-70 in it. Rather than put the camera in the bag with no lens I put the 18-55 on as it hardly weighs anything and gave the extra wider coverage in case I needed it.

Before the theft I had been fraught over whether to sell the Sigma and get the 17-85 instead as the range is so much better for a walkaround. The theft has allowed me the option of getting the Canon lens. I was covered on my work insurance as it happened on a business trip to Houston.

The price I paid for the 20D + 18-55 kit lens gets me a 30D + 17-85 as replacement so I get the opportunity to try out the Canon lens. If it works out then my current plan is to fill out my coverage with an EF-S 10-22 and EF 70-300, though that requires a bit of saving and won't happen soon.

The 30D doesn't appear to have anything that would make you upgrade directly from a 20D but the extras it does have will be very welcome. Hopefully this whole sorry saga may even work out for the best.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 2:47 PM   #8

Personally, a $30 filter would gave me the "peace of mind" and protect my
expensive lens from "shit-happened" event. :-) Plus, cleaning the filter much
less stressful than the lens itself, especially when I didn't have a right cleaning material.

Quanvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 3:22 PM   #9

Quanvu wrote:
Quote:
Personally, a $30 filter would gave me the "peace of mind" and protect my
expensive lens from "shoot-happened" event. :-) Plus, cleaning the filter much
less stressful than the lens itself, especially when I didn't have a right cleaning material.

It might protect your expensive lens but would give you cheapy quality shots also. You decide what you want.

I saw a guy shooting 70-200 f2.8, had some cheap filter but no hood. Why shoot with nice glass then.

For me, no filters.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 3:23 PM   #10

One more thing, for real pece of mind, get camera/lens insured. For something like $50 per yr, it covers around $5000k of gear. Money well spent. And use the hood.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote