Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 30, 2006, 7:29 AM   #1

now that I have my 100-300 EX I am looking for a wider lens with a good mid range zoom.I have hear really good things about both lenses and I am wondering 1st about the extra 4mm on the wide side of the sigma,2nd about the noisey AF on the sigma?So lmk about your experiences with both or either lens.

Thanks

Charlie

Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2006, 10:37 AM   #2

Have you considered Tokina's 28-80mm f/2.8?
jjonsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 11:10 PM   #3

Charlie

Both lenses can be good and both can be bad. I have seen excellent images from both lenses. I was looking at both of these last year, and ended up with the Sigma. If you need to send either in for calibration, they usually come back great.

The Sigma that I have is really sharp, fast and accurate. This is my main lens on my camera now. I do wish it was a bit wider, but if I need really wide I get my 10-20mm out. Mine is really sharp at 2.8, and just a bit better when stopped down. As for the noisy auto focus on the 24-70, it does not bother me. I have heard worse, but it is no HSM or USM lens for quietness. I wish it did have HSM on it, as the pull and turn manual focus is a pain in the butt.

If you dont mind me asking, what type of work will you be using this for? Do you think you will need more on the wide end or the long end? Also, what camera will this lens be used on?

Also, what other lenses do you have? Do you have CP filters for these, as the 82mm on the Sigma can be some big bucks for a multi coated one. Price wise, these lenses are about the same, and both give great quility images.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 11:11 PM   #4

I have the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro. I have been very happy with it. I shot my nieces graduation with lots of group pictures both indoor with a flash and outside. I am very happy with it. It isn't a true Macro but will focus up to 8 iches so larger things like butterflies it will capture. For the cost it is a great value.

Good luck!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 5:05 PM   #5

Quote:
If you dont mind me asking, what type of work will you be using this for? Do you think you will need more on the wide end or the long end? Also, what camera will this lens be used on?

Also, what other lenses do you have? Do you have CP filters for these, as the 82mm on the Sigma can be some big bucks for a multi coated one. Price wise, these lenses are about the same, and both give great quility images.

I will be usingit on a 20D canon and using it as my walk around lens.I also plan on getting a wide angle 10-20 or something like it in the near future.I have a sigma 100-300 f4 EX,18-55 canon kit lens,70-300 apo sigma(I will be selling this sometime soon) and a Sigma 50mm 2.8 ex macro.I have no filters as of right now.I also will be getting a 1.4 extender soon also.

Thanks everyone.I think I wil go with the wider end than the longer end,which means sigma.
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote