Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 3, 2006, 8:33 AM   #1

Hey guys, i've been in the photography ring for quite a while now, however i've been shooting an older Canon A-1 that was a birthday hand down gift from my dad. An internal piece that advances the film had snapped and I decided that was my "IN" into the world of digital SLR'sI plunged and purchased the Canon Rebel XT kit with the canon lens. A friend of mine I work with has a canon rebel 35mm and has a lens he no longer uses. Yesterday I slapped it on my camera and started shooting, then I went and was reading on the SIGMA website but I did not find the information I was looking for. The lens is a

Sigma 70mm-300mm 1:4-5.6 DL Super Macro

now wat concerns me is the "DL". I couldn't find on the site what it stands for, and moreover its not sold anymore. Now the same lens but with DG instead of DL is sold, and on that lens it is said its enhanced for digital photography.

So basically my question is this: What differences am I going to notice when shooting a "DL" lens from a "DG" lens? Should I pass on the opportunity to pick up this lens? How is the "DG" lens enhanced for digital? Any help would be very helpful!! Thanks!

-Daniel Bay
Poseidon04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2006, 4:38 PM   #2

It all depends on the price and what you are looking for.Im not sure what DL means but if you think your getting a good deal.I would either buy the newer lens or save up for it.Here is an old product review from shutter bug.Hope this help.

Charlie

http://shutterbug.com/equipmentrevie.../0199sb_sigma/
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 8:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the link, after reading through it, i REALLY do not think there is a better option for me Before your post I was hesitant, but not anymore Though if i come upon some cash or i have to save and wait the next lens to my collection will be the Canon Ef IS 17-85mm USM ... i've read so much on this lens from these forums and outside sources I'm already excited and I doubt i'll get it before christmas! hahahahah but once again thanks!!

-Daniel
Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:08 AM   #4

I advise to get the slightly more expensive APO DG version:

Sigma 70-300 APO DG

This lens is optically better, sharper, and a bit more expensive.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 1:43 AM   #5

I would opt for that as well, but this is a co-worker that has it and for 60 bucks I don't think its a bad choice

-Daniel
Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:29 AM   #6

See what the lens sells for on ebay. If you can get more, buy it and sell it on ebay. Use the $$ towards a better lens.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:23 PM   #7

The lens you are talking about getting (DL) I have it right now on my Rebel XT. It takes OK pictures and freezes up alot. Meaning I get the error 99 all the time. Seems to only work when I'm at 300. I don't really feel like it is worth re-chipping. I would pass on it. I'm still in the market for a new one. Still trying to decide which one.

Bill
picturethis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 5:40 AM   #8
NHL

Error 99 is a general fault - Try to replace or use a newly purchased battery
-> I saw 99 on many Canon as well when there's not enough juice left on an older battery...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:40 AM   #9

Well, just to update everyone, i picked up the lens, and i plan on using it for a little while, and then most likely i will turn around and sell it on ebay, make a few bucks and put that towards something a little more worthwhile. I've shot a few hundred pictures with it so far, well closer to 1000 but hey :P I have not had any problems with errors or anything, though I keep plenty of well charged batteries with me (I currently have 4 ) anyways guys thanks for the info and the help, I like the response on this board!!!

-Daniel