Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 10, 2006, 9:24 PM   #11

Just to note, I have the 350d with fast primes (sigma 30 f/1.4, ef 85 f/1.8 ) and they both autofocus pretty well in close distances. When the subject is far, the sigma starts to have problems wide open but the ef 85 focuses nicely.

I also got the ef 17-85 IS recently which has since replaced my kit lens. My main reason was for the range covered and better build quality. It's just great for traveling needs. I leave the prime for portraits (where i actually have the luxury to switch lenses). Sure, you'll probably notice the barrel distortion at 17mm, but if you really like the picture enough, you can fix it in post processing software. So far, I'm pleased with my new lens.

If I wanted the most bang for buck, I'd probably look at the sigma 17-70. You may hear a lot of stories to fear the third party lens, but you won't actually know until you try. My experience with sigma has been nice so far.

Compared to the 17-85, the 17-40L has really nice build quality, less distortions, better extreme corner sharpness, and probably has better contrast. But it lack the huge range and IS. And colour/distortions can be corrected in post processing.

Anyway, either of these 3 lenses would be my suggestion as a REPLACEMENT for the kit lens - which was meant for general purpose.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 2:20 PM   #12

.....well, I did some talks with my friends and some of them suggest these possibilities:

Tamron SP AF 28-75 f2.8 XR DI LD = 380EUR

Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 DC = 340EUR

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX = 430EUR

I would use it mostly for portrait (specially) and sometimescity-scape or such photos......

Zak

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 3:14 PM   #13
Administrator

For portraits, you may want to consider going with a prime versus a zoom.

That way, you would be able to use larger apertures (smaller f/stop numbers) to help your subjects stand out from distracting backgrounds, and probably get better bokeh compared to most zooms (depending on the lens you buy). As a general rule, a prime is also going to be sharper than a zoom for equivalent focal lengths and apertures.

I'm not a Canon shooter, but a quick glance at the lens lineup shows choices like the 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.2 and 85mm f/1.8 (or course, you want to make sure you've got room to use the lens you buy if you'll be taking most photos inside).

A brighter prime can come in very handy in less than optimum lighting, too.

85mm is the traditional focal length for portraits using a 35mm camera, since you'd be shooting from far enough away to avoid most perspective problems you can get from using wider focal lengths at closer ranges (a nose that looks too large compared to the rest of the face, etc.). But, given the smaller sensors in most DSLR models, many users start with a 50mm instead. Personally, I like the look of a longer lens, if you've got room to use one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 5:09 PM   #14
Administrator

But, if you need a zoom, fstopjojo (a.k.a., LightRules) has a comparison of the Sigma and Tamron f/2.8 zooms you're looking at here:

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/24702875

More Lens comparisons

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/lenstests

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:47 AM   #15

First, Thanks JimC for reply as you always do with concrete information. I have been on suggested links for further information.....

I forget to tell that I allready have Canon 50mm f1.8.

I ask about Tamron 28-75 and Sigma 17-17 or 24-70 as lot of people for portrait use this kind of lens and I do not understand why???

What is you opinion and which would be the prefered one...would like to buy one of those. Are those a standard zoom lens?

Thanks
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote