Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 6, 2006, 3:51 AM   #1

Just started playing with my new 30D + Sigma 17-70. So far I'm very happy with both.I'm heading to Mexico for a week on the beach and want a circular polarizer to cut reflections and bring out the color (and protect my lens fromsalt spray). Have been doing some reading here and it sounds like Hoya and B+W are good choices. Still, I'm a bit confused on some things given the many options out there. Can anyone with some real know-how explain ...

1) What benefit will I really get by paying more for a multi-coated filter? Have seen quotes of99+% transmission.What will it mean to my pictures whether I use a 99% or 99.7% transmission filter? My big concern would be not degrading image quality. Seems like if its just a measure of reflections that are rejected than small differences wouldn't be a big deal.

2) Are multi-coated filters really that difficult to clean? If so, I might favor a standard filter if the performance wasn't that different.

3) Anyone have experience using a polarizer with this lens / camera combo? Is aslim polarizer really required to avoid vignetting at wide angle settings here? If so, does anyone make a good quality thin polarizer with front threads that doesn't cost a bundle? I'd rather not give up ability to use my lens cap and hood.

Any practical experience that can be shared would be greatly appreciated.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2006, 1:15 PM   #2

I have the same camera / lens and looking for advice on the polarizer filter...:?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:54 PM   #3

First, I would suggest you get either a B+W or Heliopan CP. Their rings are made of brass and therefore will not tend to seize to the len threads as Hoya's and other's aluminum rings do. Second, a CP is not something generally kept on a lens as any filter can cause some distortion of image quality, but, used those times it was made to help with. Third, I would be surprised if the 'regular' size filter caused any vignetting at 17mm with the 30D size sensor (keep using the hood). And last, filters should not often need cleaning and when they do I have never found any difference between multi-coated (which is best) and the regular coated stuff. Good luck and I wish I was going with you.
jjonsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:53 AM   #4

Thanks. I decided to spring for a multi-coat low profile from Hoya. Price from 2filter.com definitely beat the others. Was concerned that since this lens is DC (not compatible with full frame sensor), vignetting might be a problem not seen on a regular lens at same focal length. I may have bought more filter than I needed, but now I won't be worried about it.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote