Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:01 AM   #1

i just recently purchased the tamron 18-200, i was first going to get a sigma 28-200 but there was some problems getting it at the local camera store and im paroniod about buying off the internet but they pointed me to the tamron so i got the 18-200. i tried a bunch of lenses out at the store and the 18-200 focused pretty fast and i was happy with that even though it does search a little in lower light but so does my canon 18-55 kit lens but its a little faster than the tamron at low light. i am completely happy with the focusing on this lens and today i decided to do a comparision between the tamron and my kit lens and my 75-300 and i figure the two canon lens are probably have about the same quality because neither of them are real high end lenses. so i tested the lenses at 18mm and the tamron lens started out a little softer than the canon at F 3.5 but got shaper as i went up to F 22 but it still wasnt as sharp as the canon (rebel xt)kit lens. then i went to 200mm and i took some shots and switched to my canon 75-300 and when i zoomed it out to 200mm i noticed that it was closer than the tamron so i thought i just zoomed in to far so i adjusted it to the same as the tamron lens and the canon was at 125mm i believe. but i did the test shots anyways at 125mm and the results were about the same but the tamron was sharper at 200mm than 18mm but still a little under the canon. i paid $400 for the tamron lens at the local camera store, and im ok with the quality but a little uneasy about the focal lenght. does anyone else know anything about that? im thinking about returning it and getting a different lens. ive heard real good things about the canon 28-135 IS USM, but im not sure how much that will cost at my local camera store and its not as wide as the tamron but if the tamron really is 125mm then ill be getting more zoom with the canon, but i guess i could try those out at the store. any suggestions? if i got a new lens my budget would be around $400 the same as the tamron maybe even a little more.
badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:17 PM   #2
Administrator

The focal length will change with focus distance with some of the compact lens designs and most manufacturers rate them focused at infinity.

If you focus on something further away from the camera(closer to infinity), the focal length should be closer to the focal length the manufacturer specified for the lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:19 PM   #3

yes i redid the shots with a subject further away and the focal lenghts came out the same

badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:29 PM   #4

Try the Sigma 18-200mm. From my recollection, I believe the true focal length on this one was about the high 180 or so.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote