Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:28 PM   #1

Ever since I got my Rebel XT, I've been wanting to purchase another lense (currently have the kit lense, 18-55mm).

I've had my eye on the 70-300mm IS USM for quite some time and I just recently saw that Canon expects to have the blurring when held in portrait problem solved by the end of this month.

I've also been looking at the EF 70-200mm f/4L lense. While it doesn't reach as far as the 70-300, it is a prime lense.

I'm curious to know if there are any pictures (100% crops is what I'm looking for, not resized) comparing the two lenses? I have no clue just how much sharper the prime lense is than a non-prime.

Lastly, I need to decide whether or not I really want a telephoto lense. I love landscape photography but I am also slightly interested in sports/car/action photography.

I'm going to Hawaii for three weeks in January and I'm also thinking about whether I'd benefit from a telephoto lense over there (I imagine I would).
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:08 PM   #2

A prime lens would be a fixed focal length as in a 85mm F1.2.The 70-200mm F4L is an L lens and their top of the line product.If you want the better of the 2 lenses as in which is sharper,then the 70-200 F4L would be my choice.If you are looking for reach and IS then go for the 70-300.Also from everything I have read the 70-300 IS is a very nice optically and a very capable lens.I personally went with a Sigma 100-300 F4 EX for my 20D.It is more expensive but it is one of the best lenses out there and I love it so far.

Good Luck
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:34 PM   #3

If you're doing landscape you'd probably want a wide angle zoom.

For the Rebel XT, you could look at a Tamron 17-35 which is a nice wide angle for low dollars.

I have the Canon 70-200 F4 and it's a nice, light lens with excellent build quality and very, very good photographic results. An excellent deal, given that you can find the F4 lens for $550 these days.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:43 PM   #4

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
If you're doing landscape you'd probably want a wide angle zoom.

For the Rebel XT, you could look at a Tamron 17-35 which is a nice wide angle for low dollars.

I have the Canon 70-200 F4 and it's a nice, light lens with excellent build quality and very, very good photographic results. An excellent deal, given that you can find the F4 lens for $550 these days.
I'm thinking that for landscape photography, I'll stay with my kit lense. It is a decent lense...nothing to write home about but I would rather lean towards telephoto instead of getting another lense similar in focal length to the kit lense.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:48 PM   #5

I see your point, you have the 18mm on the wide side with the kit lens.

You could always get the 70-200 and a 1.4 teleconverter.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:39 PM   #6

I just got to test the range of a 70-300mm lense (it was a Nikon) today and I'm hooked on it. As soon as Canon reissues the lense with the fixed portrait mode problem, I'll be first on board.