Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:36 AM   #1

Dear All,

I need some information to make up my mind on the purchase of a lens for my Canon EOS 350D Digital Rebel XT which I got as kit with the 18-55 Canon lens.

My main use of the lens would beto stand beside aprons and runways at airports and shoot both moving aircraft, especially on takeoff and landing, and as well stationary aircraft parked on the apron. This to be carried out both during day and night. My budget would be around USD600-800. I am ready to consider various brands (Canon/Sigma/Tamron) which would of course be compatible to my camera. I have been to the Sigma Site and considered various ranges of 70-300, 80-400, 100-300, etc but then cannot understand the difference between the letters after the lense them being EX, DG, APO, HSM, etc.

Any help is appreciated and also any postings of such photos would help me a lot.

Regards,

AMC.

amc072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:50 AM   #2
NHL

amc072 wrote:
Quote:
... but then cannot understand the difference between the letters after the lense them being EX, DG, APO, HSM, etc.
FYI - http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses.asp
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:03 AM   #3

Hi NHL,

Thanks for the web page. I have seen that already however what I want to know is how all these properties and which of them would affect the shots for my particular use - this will eventually narrow again my options so that I would be able to make the final choice.

Thanks

amc072
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:28 AM   #4

Unfortunately they mean many things to different manufacturers and each makes up their own acronyms

EX is Sigmas high end line, similar to Canons "L" or Tamrons XR
HSM is the Hypersonic Motor, equivalent to Canons USM UltraSonic motor

Sigma has provided this page to describe all their acronyms
https://www.sigmaphoto.com/popup.asp

Have you checked http://www.airliners.net/search/ ? it used to be searchable by camera used, not sure how that was done.

Being able to get anywhere near a apron/runway now a days is quite a privelage!

amc072 wrote:
Quote:
but then cannot understand the difference between the letters after the lense them being EX, DG, APO, HSM, etc.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:42 AM   #5

[Bag on head mode]
Just type sigma into the "keywords" box at http://www.airliners.net/search/ and up come a pile of images made with sigma lenses. Doh :homey:
[/Bag on head mode]
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 5:52 PM   #6

WIth budget of $800US I think you can go only with Sigma lenses and still have good quality. Since you are shooting mostly 'big' airplanes at lending taking of, you do not need any 'monster' lens or superfast AF lens. I think Sigma 80-400 would do well. If you do not like heavy lens then consider again Sigma 70-300mm. Also Sigma 50-500 would be good choice, a bit more pricier (900-1000) but have a good range. Is IS important here? Probably is so maybe 80-400 would be better ... tough call.

I aslo take plane pictures but mostly at the air shows and there I would go with Canon 100-400 IS.
GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:07 PM   #7
NHL

If you're not into IS or OS and you probably could with this new Tokina 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 - Check it out because it's not only the smallest but also the lightest (@ almost 1/2 the weight of competing lenses) since it's a digital only:

http://www.thkphoto.com/news/news-pr032906.html
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:06 AM   #8

Hi,

GM2006: So is this the Canon you use then - Canon EF 100-400mm IS USM L Lens? Can you post some pictures maybe?

NHL: This seems quite a nice lense however I would like to find some reviews about.

The headache here, apart of deciding which model is the fact of either going for a canon and avoid the dreaded error 99 and then at least have support from the canon dealer or going for the sigma and knowing that if this error occurs the lense cannot be used anymore...can someone highlight anything on these issues?

I am still at crossroads on the brands - let alone the models then!!

Thanks to all

GM2006 wrote:
Quote:
WIth budget of $800US I think you can go only with Sigma lenses and still have good quality. Since you are shooting mostly 'big' airplanes at lending taking of, you do not need any 'monster' lens or superfast AF lens. I think Sigma 80-400 would do well. If you do not like heavy lens then consider again Sigma 70-300mm. Also Sigma 50-500 would be good choice, a bit more pricier (900-1000) but have a good range. Is IS important here? Probably is so maybe 80-400 would be better ... tough call.

I aslo take plane pictures but mostly at the air shows and there I would go with Canon 100-400 IS.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:02 AM   #9
NHL

amc072 wrote:
Quote:
...The headache here, apart of deciding which model is the fact of either going for a canon and avoid the dreaded error 99 and then at least have support from the canon dealer or going for the sigma and knowing that if this error occurs the lense cannot be used anymore...can someone highlight anything on these issues?
I think I can answer this since I owned equal number of Sigma and Canon lenses
-> including the EF 100-400L IS USM: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=11

Error 99 is a general fault and can include a lens issue, but then I get this error code on Canon lenses (as do others). IMO it can occur when an older battery is nearly depleted and can confuse the heck out of the processor in the camera when there's a surge in current draw such as when the camera is trying to focus
With regard to Sigma - This brand has had some problem with compatibility issues with mostly older lenses made before y2K, and can be retrofitted by sending the lenses back. New lenses (i.e. not bought on the used market), and especially the EX (their Pro series with HSM) never had this problem...

Now with respect to the new 'lightweight' Tokina, I have a high degree of confidence that this will be an exceptional lens:
1. They made the same lens before (well regarded BTW), but non-digital
2. It's a 'digital' lens only (from previous experiences the MTF's on theses 'digital' lenses only always exceed their full-frame counter part)
3. Tokina is of Hoya fame, and always pay attention to details such as metal only construction and para-focal in focus (unlike the Canon's) in all their lenses during zooming!
Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:23 PM   #10

I do not own Canon 100-400 but had rented it for a weekend and was happy with it. If you want to see picture samples go to airliners.net and do search with Canon 100-400. This may not help much because pictures are all reduced in size ...

Only problem I have with Canon is the price. Also this Tokina looks promising as well ...
GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote