Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:31 AM   #1

I've been looking for a general walk around lens for awhile and i've tired the tamron 18-200 and i loved the focal lengh but it just wasnt as sharp as my canon kit lens and that bothered me so i tired the canon 28-200 and its sharp and i like the focal lengh but 200 isnt enough for long zooming and i find myself switching to my 75-300 lens for that purpose. the 28-200 is good but i dont like to use a tripod (unless im including myself in the picture) and i find my shaking does come in play sometimes and i was considering going with the 28-135 IS. I like the fact that it has IS and it still has USM which the 28-200 has and is awesome. Does anyone have any thought on these lenses? right now im leaning towards the 28-135 IS USM and just getting a good 300mm zoom lens latter. any thoughts?
badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:34 AM   #2

Hi Babhabbit05.

I have the Canon 28-135mm lens, it's my favourite lens (of the ones I own!) (Apart from the lens in question, I also have the Canon 18-55mm kit lens, Canon 50mm f1.8 and Canon 100-300mm).

My advice, do a search on these forums about this lens and you'll find a fair few people's opinions.

I started a topic and included a few photos about this lens a few months back. Check it out here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

I would also advise you to look at www.fredmiranda.com for user reviews, I find that a handy site to get an overall rating (of course various people rate things very critically, others love anything they have). But www.fredmiranda.com is a good resource.

Also check out these two following websites, which I find are fairly balanced and a good mix of technical and real life perspectives:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html and

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php

Both sites above have tests and / or reviews of the Canon 28-135mm IS USM. Hope this is all helpful.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:14 PM   #3

Well i think you've convinced me to go to the camera store this weekend and try it out for myself. thanks
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:19 PM   #4

I also have the 28-135 and use it as my walk-around lens.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I've actually owned two (first was destroyed in accident and replaced) and there are really only two potential knocks on it:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1. The first copy suffered from lens-creep after a while - so when you would wear it on a kneck strap the lens would slowly extend a bit (since it's not all internal focusing). The second copy hasn't had the problem. That may be because I've been using other lenses more though over the last 6 months.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"2. It isn't very wide on an APS-C sized sensor. So, if your shooting style requires wider angle shooting frequently you may want to consider something else.

But performance wise within it's focal range it really is a great lens. Are there better performing lenses? Yes - but they either cost a lot more or don't cover the same focal range. But for an all purpose lens if I were starting from scratch again I'd still strongly consider this lens because of it's focal range, performance and IS. THe other choice for me (if I were starting over) would be the 24-105 - but I have mixed feelings about that lens - I think it's overpriced for what it delivers.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 7:31 PM   #5
NHL

Funny you asked since it was also my primary 'walk around' lens for this past weekend trip:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=8

The lens is quite sharp, but it tends to get very loose with use (I got it re-tighen, but the slack came back...) like some folks indicated. It's a full-frame lens from my previous EOS-3, so it will work on all cameras and not just the cropped digital sensor only
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:05 AM   #6

Just an update, I went out yesterday and got this lens (couldn't wait until this weekend) and i took it out this morning and took a few quick pictures to see how they would look, and wow i was surprised by what i got. the IS is amazing, the pictures are real sharp, and the colors look great. heres a few pictures straight from the camera with no editing at all.
Attached Images

Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:06 AM   #7

and these just opened this morning. all three of them.
Attached Images

Old Jun 16, 2006, 4:00 PM   #8

Thanks for sharing some photos, badhabbit05. I can see you are excited and happy to have the 28-135mm lens. It's good you could show us these photos. Yes the IS is often very handy to have.

As I understand you probably have the kit lens (as I do)?? I use that for when I really need a wider angle landscape photo (e.g. between 18 and 28mm). And usually anyway my landscape photos are stopped down, so the kit lens does a decent job at f8 to f13 in that type of usual landscape range.

As you said the photos you shared are not editted (not processed). I expect you did this because of time, yet I trust you know, though, that photos especially from digital SLRs (dSLRs) really improve a lot with a bit of extra post-processing? I find usually a bit of a boost in contrast, maybe saturation and some sharpening make the photos have much more punch (don't overdo it on too going extreme though). I find I can get VERY sharp images from my 28-135mm lens especially with a bit of unsharp mask.

As you also wrote about a zoom lens for the future, I also (now) have the Canon 100-300mm (which I bought a month ago) and I also like this lens. It's almost (but not quite) the same quality as the 28-135mm but I wanted a longer (300mm) zoom lens for the summer and I bought it in UK for something in my budget. I was thinking of the Canon 70-300mm IS, or the Sigma 70-300mm APO, but in the end my budget prevented me from getting the Canon 70-300mm (and I was also a bit worried if a I got a "bad portrait" copy... some copies of this lens seem to produce soft images when held in portrait mode).. and here in Romania there are no Canon service centres (to speak of!)

I realise the IS would often come in handy especially on the 300mm side, but I'm happy with the 100-300mm lens. I'm still learning how to use it and discovering a whole new world between 135mm and 300mm! Anyway, using a tripod helps of course get the best images, or even boosting the ISO and then running images through noise reduction software gives very good results. So far I think I'll stick with the Canon 100-300mm lens, for a while, and definitely the 28-135mm. Let me know how you go continuing with your photography.

Finally... below is a quick capture I got of a snail-riding fly using the 28-135mm lens today. Hope you like it (yes I did a bit of usual post processing, I think this image is funny!)

All the best... sorry for almost hijacking your thread!

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 5:26 PM   #9

YesI do have the kit lens andI keep it in my camera bag for whenI need it. AlsoI normally do run my pictures through photoshop for saturation and to sharpen it up a little or what ever elseI need butI posted them right out of the camera becauseI was real happy with the right out of the camera result compared to my other lenses. It was much sharper and the colors were more true and about the zoom lensI was thinking maybe the 70-300 IS butI havent really looked into it yet. I have the 75-300 without IS or USM and its not a bad lens if you have a tripod or its real bright outside but other than that its nothing to get excited about (I'll probably trade that in when I go to get a new zoom lens). I'malso wanting to get the 50mm f/1.8 I've heard real good stuff about that lens and its cheap so I cant really afford not to get one. I also like the picture too!
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:32 AM   #10

I have the Canon 70-300 IS and love this lens. It is very sharp, and I have taken pictures I could not have gotten without the IS feature. (I don't usually carry a tripod.) I have read about some possible problems with the portrait features, but have not experienced them. Besides, I usually shoot in aperture priority mode, so would not even miss the portrait feature.
Sawyer Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote