Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:17 AM   #1

Indoor inlineroller hockey photos with Can d20 And can 90 -300mm lenses and or 18-55 kit lense
would a 25-200 type lense be more suited to this pursuit (also used for Dance contests and other fun stuff.
The reason I ask is at the weekend I did a local tournament and was having trouble zooming out to see the up coming action . Spent most of the day getting my eye in to learn to read the game.
Any tips from The gurus out there??
The 300 was good for zooming in obviosly but not so good for the closer stuff which makes me want a25 - 200+ type lense.
Was thinking about this lense
Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Lens
All advice appreciated
Brett
sojouner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:53 AM   #2

Brett,

I shoot a lot of sports. I'm not sure what the lighting situation is like for your indoor hockey, but typically you need at least a lens capable of 2.8 to shoot indoor sportsand get shutter speeds good enough to freeze the action. You'll also have focus issues with a 5.6 or 6.3 lens in low light. And that's if you have very good lighting - if lighting isn't so good, you'll need a faster prime.

So, you need to be looking at a whole different class of lenses if you want to shoot indoor sports.

If lighting is good enough for 2.8 then maybe the Tamron 28-75 2.8 and Sigma 70-200 2.8 combo if money is an issue.

But an 18-200 6.3 is going to be way to slow for indoor sports and I really wouldn't recommend it for outdoor sports.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 7:11 AM   #3

Thanks John
I agree that I was having Fo(cussing)Problems in the local rink, even at 3200iso picys were quite dark and consequently quite grainy. Fo(cussing) was also a problem here at a local ball I did it was low light as well.
will look at the suggested lenses as a remedy.ocasionally got to F3.5 but even then it was quite dark.

"if lighting isn't so good, you'll need a faster prime."
what do you mean by faster Prime ?
Cheers
Brett
sojouner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:31 AM   #4

Brett,

'Fast' refers to a lens with a wide maximum aperture. 'Prime' refers to a lens without zoom. The widest aperture you usually find on a zoom lens is 2.8. In many indoor venues, 2.8 is not wide enough to get the shutter speeds you need, so you need a lens that is 2.0 or 1.8.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote