Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:21 AM   #11

Jake,

The focus does automatically adjust in AI-Servo assuming of course that the focus lock obtained by the camera is on the moving subject. To really notice a difference though the subject would have to be moving directly towards or away from you otherwise they won't be changing focus planes by enough to really notice the focus ring move.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:08 AM   #12
NHL

JohnG

Does the ring move with the AF?

-> I thought with the ultrasonic lenses the AF is uncoupled from the focusing ring...
(which allows one to overide the AF full-time)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:13 AM   #13

Thanks John, I thought there was something wrong with my camera...:?

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Jake,

The focus does automatically adjust in AI-Servo assuming of course that the focus lock obtained by the camera is on the moving subject. To really notice a difference though the subject would have to be moving directly towards or away from you otherwise they won't be changing focus planes by enough to really notice the focus ring move.
Jake the Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:14 AM   #14

NHL,

Fascinating! I gotta be honest I haven't paid attention. Now I'll have to check it out. Thanks for setting me strait. Show's how much manual override I do :-)

But, on the bright side it's only 9:15 and I've already learned something today!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:21 PM   #15

I find it very improbable that the AF mechanism of a Canon lens that allows manual focus override would move the focus ring. From a logical point of view, and Canon must have many logical thinking engineers, it would result in a very debilitating effect on the camera battery. Thinking about it from a mechanical point of view, what would be the point of moving the focus ring. If you were using manual override you would be fighting the AF. ????
dlearyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 5:32 AM   #16

I have the 70-200 f4L. Bought it for use on the 20D about a year ago and was very happy with it. The multiplication factor made it a 300mm +.

I changed the 20D for a 5D recently, and the lens really showed what it is capable of. The results are so detailed and sharp, the contrast high, and the focussing speed and accuracy outstanding.

I have since added the 17-40 f4L and 24-105f4LIS, all produce wonderful shots of a very similar detail and contrast.

Buy the 70-2100 f4L and build a collection around it. Try to forget the EFS series as I'm sure you will need to sell them sooner or later there is a marked difference in contrast and shapness IMHO. Only exception being the 10-22 as this gives you ultra wide angle zoom that no EF L will give.

BTW if you select AI focus, then pan the camera around your garden with the shutter release half pressed for, the lens will be constantly snap focussing as different plants etc come into view, this relly shows how fast and accurate the camera, lens combination is. Good luck.
liningiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 7:59 AM   #17

Everythings fine now thanks. Very happy with the lens and think it was a good choice. :-)

liningiv wrote:
Quote:
BTW if you select AI focus, then pan the camera around your garden with the shutter release half pressed for, the lens will be constantly snap focussing as different plants etc come into view, this relly shows how fast and accurate the camera, lens combination is. Good luck.
Jake the Mus is offline   Reply With Quote