Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:38 AM   #1

As a have a bit of spare cash left over from my recent holiday, I think I'm going to buy the Canon 70-200 F4 L lens for my 350D (Rebel XT).

Anyway, for my sons football (soccer), portraits and the odd close up (I don't do many landscapes) would you say I'm choosing the right lens for the £500 price bracket? or would anyone recommend a better lens for the money?

Thanks in advance.
Jake the Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:03 PM   #2

Jake,

I have the lens, it's excellent in a two lens setup but would be inadequate as a single walk around lens. For out door sports it's pretty good and has excellent quality. It'spretty light so you don't need a tripod. The constant F4 will allow you to shoot at ISO 800 - 1600and get some pretty good action shots without IS.

One thing you didn't say is what lenses you already have, I'm assuming you have the 18 - 55 kit or the 17 - 85 kit lenses. Providing informationabout your current lens portfolio will allow other posters to give you the best advice.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the prompt reply Bill.

My current set up is: Canon 350D (+ the 18-55 kit lens) and also the Tamron 55-200/4-5.6 Di II LD lens.

I've been very happy with the Tamron lens thus far (as I've not long since started out) and think it's outstanding value for money but as I get more and more into this hobby, the 'lens bug' has obviously bitten me.:-)
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:43 PM   #4

My adivice is to wait until you get some additional responses, before making a final decision. I made a decision to build my lens collection around high quality F4 apeture lens to take advantage of lighter weight and lower costs compared to getting the 2.8 zooms. The excellent high ISO performance of the Canon dSLRs allowed me to do that. I also have a couple of fixed focal length (primes) that are at least F2.8 for low light situations.The thing you don't want to do once you've gotten over the inital kit lens phase is to buy twice or even thrice. Buy something that you can eventually build a quality lenscollection around. Bill
Old Jun 24, 2006, 3:08 PM   #5

I was thinking about getting this lens but ultimalty went with the 100-300 F4 EX Sigma.I have heard nothing but good things about the 70-300 f4.I had tried it in B&H and thought it was a good lens but I didnt like the short reach of it.Also are you going to get rid of the Tamron,as Im not sure why you would want the get a lens with almost the same focal length?
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 3:35 PM   #6

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, my idea was to get the Canon 70-200 F4 L, sell both my Tamron & my 17-55 kit lens and also buy a better replacment for my kit lens.

Striderxl wrote:
Quote:
I was thinking about getting this lens but ultimalty went with the 100-300 F4 EX Sigma.I have heard nothing but good things about the 70-300 f4.I had tried it in B&H and thought it was a good lens but I didnt like the short reach of it.Also are you going to get rid of the Tamron,as Im not sure why you would want the get a lens with almost the same focal length?
Old Jun 24, 2006, 6:43 PM   #7

Then it makes sense. If I had unlimited funds, I'd have 4 high quality zoom lenses awide angle,mid range zoom, long range zoom and a 18 - 200 IS walk around lens. I have all these just not L or EX quality or IS. The 17 - 85 kit lens and the 70 - 200 F4 make agoodto very good quality set up that covers a 27 - 320 mm full frame equivalent. Spend a little more andyou could get the Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8. I love my Canon 70 - 200 F4.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:52 PM   #8

The 70-200 F4 was the first lens I bought after getting my 10d several years ago. I have not looked back. Great lens. Sharp, not too heavy and great build quality. I have never been unhappy with the pictures I have taken. After getting it from B & H, I decided I needed a UV filter of course for front lens protection. Got one from Ritz and plugged it in. Recently was on another forum and got involved in a discussion regarding so called crap lenses and filters. The name Quantaray came up as being in that category so I immediately checked all my lenses and lo and behold, my 70-200 was fitted with one. Next day, I did a test with several pictures with and without the filter. No question that pics were much better without the filter. Now logic does not condemn the Quantaray necessarily, as it might just mean lenses are just better without filters. Anyway, I am now expecting really great shots without the filter. Almost like I just got a new lens.

Buy one, you will not regret it.

Hope I did not introduce a new thread in this filter issue. Just thought it worth mentioning.
dlearyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 5:10 AM   #9
NHL

dlearyfun wrote:
Quote:
Hope I did not introduce a new thread in this filter issue. Just thought it worth mentioning.
We've heard a lot of this lately - Can someone post an image with or without filter?
i.e. how bad or better it is... All my lenses have filters on them and I did a fair amount of testings against sunlight (@ an angle too), but then I only use Heliopan and B&W
-> One doesn't throw the baby out with the bad\th water :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:06 AM   #10

Well, my new 70-200 F4 L arrived last night.:-)So thanks to all who advised.

One question I have though, not just relating to this lens but, when I shoot sports shots in AI Servo mode, is it supposed to constantly auto-focus? If so, would I notice the lens auto-focussing...? I tried AI servo last night but I thought I would see the focus ring constantly moving.:?