Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:10 PM   #1

Well I'm going to be getting a 30D. I am looking at the 70-200 2.8L

I just am having a hard time deciding on spending $600 for IS.

In a post I saw someone mentioned the IS not being as sharp. Is there anything to this? I'd hate to think I could have saved my money for something else, and got a sharper image to boot!!

Any input would be appreciated.
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:51 PM   #2
NHL

Meiko wrote:
Quote:
In a post I saw someone mentioned the IS not being as sharp. Is there anything to this? I'd hate to think I could have saved my money for something else, and got a sharper image to boot!!
There might be some truth to this:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...28is/index.htm
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...0_28/index.htm
-> Check out their MTF's the non-IS scores better in every way... :idea:

BTW If you do decide on the non-IS, there's a new Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 with HSM which might save you even more and comes with semi-macro capability as well
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:08 AM   #3
spy

I have had the pleasure of shooting in door low light swimming competitions all year with the IS and Non IS 70 - 200 Canon lensmodels. Not all shots are panning the swimmer buthave also shot hundreds of deck shots of the club swimmers chating with each other, meditating, mingling around, getting instructions from Coaches, sittingetc...and the NON IS lens put out sharper images than the IS model.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Non of my Non IS photos show any camera shake or jiggleplus my shutter speed is usually at 650 - 1200 depending on the pool and lighting conditions plus just being aware of holding the camera steady, my opinion would be to save your $600 extra dollars and spend it on something else like an external flash or memory cards.

If you live near several Canon camera stores, one or two of them most likely have several lenses you can rent for the weekend which is an excellent way to 'test drive' several different zoom lensesbefore you plunk down all that money hoping we gave you good advise.

Good luck.

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:25 AM   #4
Super Moderator

It does sort of make sense, I believe the IS has an extra element.

So if camera shake is not a problem the non-IS will probably be sharper.

On the other hand if you get into camera-shake zone then the IS will undoubtedly be sharper.

So my guess would be that handheldwith a 30D you will find shutter speeds below 1/500 to be sharper with IS and shutter speeds of 1/500 or greater to be sharper without IS.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 6:51 AM   #5
NHL

spy wrote:
Quote:
... my opinion would be to save your $600 extra dollars and spend it on something else like an external flash or memory cards.
Agreed - The best advice yet

Here's the catch low-light
Photography is all about how you capture light (when there's no light ???) :idea:
As long as you don't master this the best lenses in the world is for not...

-> Unless you're not allowed to use flash, this additional light source(s) will freeze any movements, render more saturation and contrast (which lead to the appearance of sharpness too) than IS in low-light every time!

BTW if you can't live without IS - For the price of 1 lens with IS you can get a number of cameras with built-in IS and all your lenses will have it...
(a second body may be and it'll be cheaper still)!
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:01 AM   #6

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
So my guess would be that handheldwith a 30D you will find shutter speeds below 1/500 to be sharper with IS and shutter speeds of 1/500 or greater to be sharper without IS.

I'm with peripatetic on this. Whether IS is useful will depend largely on the shutter speeds you think you'll be shooting at. For people that love available light shooting without flash in low light environments the IS is extremely beneficial. It may mean you can shoot at ISO 800 instead of 3200 and still be able to handhold.

Like Spy, I shoot sports so I'm trying for shutter speeds of 1/500 or greater. On a lens this size IS isn't really helpful if you're getting shutter speeds that high. So for me it absolutely isn't worth the extra money. But for someone shooting weddings or the like (some churches do not allow flash photography) - the IS can be a huge benefit. But, it would have to be something like that to make it worth $600 IMO
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:27 AM   #7
NHL

What's wrong with resting the camera down?
The camera can't shake if you don't try to handhold it...

I love available light photography too: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=8
-> but usually get caught without a tripod on travel...

IMO a flash is essential for wildlife: http://www.pbase.com/nhl/image/53781182/original
-> The lens was a 100-400L IS, but the IS is not required because of the flash!

Don't get me wrong, I have as many lens with IS as anyone, but one can justify IS (or non-IS) in anyway - Whatever tickle you I guess :lol: :-) :G

I believe Meiko had a Minolta before, and he might as well get a 5D/7D for that $600 :idea:
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:52 AM   #8

Thanks for all your replies.. I think I have decided to go with non IS.

Your input has been a big help..

NHL -

you are correct, I have an A2. A very nice camera, but after using it for 2 years,I have decided to get an SLR.. I thought long and hard about getting a 7D.. Cheaper and able to use my dedicated flash units.. But I've allways wanted a Canon, so I am going to go for it. Back when I bought SLR film camera I bought a Minolta cause the canon was a little more money, and allways regretted haveing the extra speed of the canon. Now my A2 is an excellent camera for its class and dont regret getting it one bit, but I really like the look and feel of the 30D.

Thanks again,

Meiko
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 3:15 PM   #9

If you shoot in low light andcan afford the IS then GET IT, (Canon 70 - 200 ISf2.8L)I have had some great low light shots where flash wasn't allowed. (school play) and wouldn't have had a chance without it. On the other hand if your'e not bothered about low light (There'll always be a time when you regret it) then spend the difference on something else.
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:15 PM   #10

I have the IS version, and love it. I often don't have a tripod with me, and the IS enables me to get shots in low light conditions. I would not be able to get these without IS. For more views on this subject: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21309
Sawyer Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote