Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:04 AM   #11

I would like to buy updated version of this lens. Is it available in the market now?
Who sells it for the best price?
How would I know that I am getting the new updated version with no portrait mode problem?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:10 PM   #12

Greetings. I am very interested in this len as well and called Canon Customer Support line last week about when theIS lenwill beavailable. They told me that no date for re-release of the IS Len has been announced. After talking with them, I did not get a good feeling about this lens being available anytime in the near future. I have found a few stores that still have this lens but I suspect that the lens may have been recalled. They refused to give me the serialnumber of the lens. Not a good sign.

Tony
lassen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:17 PM   #13

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

It's in stock at B&H.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:50 PM   #14

Justin,

I am confused. Are you saying that B&H has the updated lens in stock while Canon is still saying they don't know when updated lens will be released according to Tony???:?

Are you saying Canon guy didn't know what he was talking about?? Please clarify... How do you know that B&H has the updated lens??
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 3:03 PM   #15

I just bought this lens this week from Adray.com. It seems like all the retailers are getting in a couple at a time and they sell out in about a day. Amazon.com has them off and on for the past week. In a service bulletin, Canon showed the serial number to look for on the bad lenses. Mine has a different number so I assume it's a new lens! You can check a site like bizrate.com or pricegrabber.com and see who has it in stock now.
b94new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:35 PM   #16

Sorry about any confusion. B&H did not have this len until very recently. I did call Canon @ 1-800-OK-CANON about one week ago andprovided the info I previously statedon this thread. Is it possible that the lens currently available were produced before the announced defect?

Tony
lassen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:54 PM   #17

I don't think it's an old lens. I was watching the search engines for a few days before I purchased and it seems like different retailers were showing it in stock one day and out of stock the next. I think the lens has been re-releaed and all retailers are getting limited quantities. If they were still the old lenses, it seems to me like there would be no restocking involved.
b94new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:25 PM   #18

I ordered mine today. Rather than order online, I called PCNation and spoke to a salesman so that I could be sure it is brand new and not a leftover one subject to the recall. He said they got 28 in two days ago, and have sold 8 already. Other retailers have it now too. Canon must be shipping in quantity.

Victor
vpoleshuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:46 PM   #19

I was going to buy this lens. And I had one question. Off-topic. What does mode1 and mode 2 do? I saw that on the lens and my 17-85 IS doesnt have that.
starstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:48 PM   #20

Mode 1 is standard image stabilization. Mode 2 is for tracking moving objects, as in sports or wildlife photography. The reviews I've read say that Mode 2 works amazingly well!
vpoleshuck is offline   Reply With Quote