Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...;modelid=11922

Canon just resolved the problem with blurry images while the lense was being held in portrait mode. Now comes waiting until suppliers get the new lenses in stock. I'm hoping to have this lense by the end of July for an airshow.

I've been following this issue pretty closely the past couple months
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:53 PM   #2

thats great to hear because I've been looking into buying one for myself
badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:39 AM   #3

I called Canon Support today to get my repair (serial number w/ a 0 in the third digit, bought Nov 05), which I finally get fed up with this weekend (oddly enough, at an airshow). Anything portrait mode was completely useless. I had originally thought it was just technique, but I've had it long enough now that it's not me, and it's not as bad as some I've seen. At first the rep thought I would have to send it in, but then he put me on hold to check a "new memo" he got about it recently. After 10 minutes on hold he informed me that they currently have no fix or replacements, and I can expect a call from a Canon representative within a few days.

Sounds to me like the issue hasn't been resolved at all. I know for a while they were sending out notices to have it repaired, but I'm now thinking that it may have been premature and they might have found something else.

Any "Official" news/updates would be much appreciated if anyone has it.
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:16 PM   #4

Quite a few people have already sent their lenses in - Canon had an initial list of users with problematic lenses to sort through and resolve before they're accepting any more lenses for repair.

That's what has been posted several times on other forums.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 3:24 PM   #5

A word of caution for Candian lens owners.

I took mine in to the Canon Service Center in Toronto & said I was bringing it in response to their Service recall for vertical orientation. Three weeks later I went to pick it up & when I asked what had been done, they said "nothing, it tested OK". I asked if they were aware of the recall & left the lens with them again but I did not get a warm & fuzzy feeling they knew what needed to be done. My understanding is that any lens with 0 or 1 in 3rd position of the serial numberhas or will have a problem. The repair envoice should have said "replaced inner lens unit". That is the fix.

If you take or send yours in to Canon that is what needs to be done.
rlepik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:30 AM   #6

Is Canon now shipping the updated (fixed) version of this lens now? I can't find it anywhere? What is the scoop on that? I have been waiting to buy the updated version for a month now...:?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:32 AM   #7

It's nowhere to be found. I was told by Canon it was being prepared for shipping 2 to 3 weeks ago.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:48 PM   #8

Do all lenses with the listed serial numbers require modification? I have not found a problem with portrait orientation, even at maximum zoom.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:16 PM   #9

While not all lenses with the designated serial numbers may exhibit the problem, Canon says that eventually, they will begin to show problems and therefore should be fixed.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:17 PM   #10

I got my lens back yesterday (Thanks for the free 2-day shipping both ways canon!) and I noticed the zoom is MUCH tighter. It doesn't move at all, even when holding it upside down and shaking it lightly. It's also noticably sharper at 300mm.
I would say that if yours suffers any zoom creep or (or in my case, zoom flop), you should send it in just for that and be happy it no longer creeps on you.
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote