Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:56 PM   #1

Currently using the kit lens on my XT and need to get closer to the action. Been looking at the x-200 and x-300 zooms by Sigma, Tamron and Quantaray because of budget. There are so many choicesin this grouping that it is not convenient to compare.So where should I focus my attention, 200 mm or 300 mm.
uncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 6:46 PM   #2

what is your budget?I can recommend the Sigma 70-300 as this was my second lens,after the kit.I really like it and got some nice shots.It is about $220 and it is now a DG lens( just means a anti CA coating).It is also a semi macro lens.Start with this and work your way up.I also know that for me I like the length at 300mm and find the 200 a little short for other things I was shooting.
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:45 PM   #3

I have read quite a bit about that particular lens and $200 is my budget. How important is the CA coating? If I find an older model without it, would it be worth the potential savings?
uncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:35 PM   #4

Uncool,

First off - definitely want 300mm. 200 is too short for shooting across the field. There are numerous suggestions but if your budget is only $200 none of them will work. The Sigma 70-300 is the only lens that fits in that range. Having said that, there are some inherent limitations - the 5.6 aperture being the biggest one. You'll need good light to use that lens. In poor light the focus will be too slow and the shutter speeds will be as well. But that's a limit with any 5.6 lens. The Sigma is going to perform better than any Quantaray lens and i haven't heard of a Tamron in that range performing as well.

As for the DG - I have yet to see anyone show any type of test showing the coating actually helps at all. IMO it was simply a marketing gimick by Sigma and an excuse to raise the price of their lenses (70-200 2.8 went up $100 and 120-300 went up $300).

It's very much like when Sigma put ETTL II on their 500 dg super flash and raised the price. ETTL II has nothing to do with the flash - it's an in-camera thing. Any flash that's ETTL compatible is ETTL II compatible.

So, buy the Sigma it's absolutely the only decent solution in your price range.

Enjoy!!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:55 PM   #5

I use a Sigma 70-300for not only Little league but most outdoor sports. I have had good luck for years with Sigma lenes and am quite happy with the two zooms I have, 70-300 and 170-500.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 5:21 AM   #6

Hereare a few pic I took at a Yankee game last year with the Sigma 70-300 APO and other than taking off his head I thinkthey arepretty nice shots.Thay are the only ones I have loaded up and cant quite find any of my many cds I have that have pics from this lens.But I had great light.

Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote