Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:23 PM   #11

Many thanks for all the helpful info - plenty of food for thought . Will probably go for the non- DO for the larger zoom. Undecided in the lower range but a lot of useful suggestions that I hadn't thought of. Still have to get hold of a 30D first!

Thanks Ian
IanMcM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:23 PM   #12

What you may wish to do is get the camera first and then find a friendly photography dealer and try some lenses out taking pictures of subjects you are interested in. You will most likely find a lens or two that gives you what you are looking for. I wouldn't hang my hat on comparing mtf data across different lens makers as most of them use different ways to determine results.

See this info from Luminous Landscape http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...ding-mtf.shtml

dlearyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:16 AM   #13
Super Moderator

The lens data above is actual test data from photozone.de, not the manufacturer's charts.

The advantage of getting the body with one of the kit lenses is that you can save a fairly decent amount by doing so. For the 30D you can save a bit by buying either the 18-55 or 17-85 with the body.

The price for the 17-85 as part of a kit is now really quite reasonable I believe - less than $500, which is maybe (?) $300 cheaper than it was 18 months ago.

If you really can't decide then the cheap kit lens is enough to get you used to the camera while you make up your mind what you really want, after 3-6 months sell it on ebay or give it to a friend or a student or something.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:27 AM   #14
NHL

dlearyfun wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't hang my hat on comparing mtf data across different lens makers as most of them use different ways to determine results.
Like peripatetic said the data from Photozone are actual test results from Imatest with real lenses and not the manufacturer's published MTF's curves, which in Canon case are not even measured but calculated from theorethical value!

One can even compare Nikon to Canon lenses as well (if anyone hasn't done so) with the Photozone data which are quite valuable...

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:09 AM   #15
Super Moderator

And I can highly recommend Norman Koren's website as a fascinating source of technical information too.

Norman Koren is the chap who writes the Imatest software.

http://www.normankoren.com/
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:45 PM   #16

Have purchased 30D and 17-85 IS USM. Couldn't get hold of 70-300 IS USM -several retailers told me thatCanon had a manufacturing problemand that availability was nil which seems to be the case. In any case will give me time to get used to the world of digital with the 17-85 which may not be a bad thing.

Thanks again for everyone's advice/thoughts Ian
IanMcM is offline   Reply With Quote