Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:28 PM   #1

Hello, I'm using a digital rebel (eos300) camera. Yesterday I was taking pictures of some ducks with my 28-135mm IS canon lens. For some reason the autofocus stoped working in about the 100-135mm range. It just focuses in and out and does not "lock on". Manual focus works fine of course. I tried a different lens to see if it was the camera, but the other lens worked fine so I have concluded that something is wrong with my 28-135mm lens. Does anybody have any ideas on what to do to fix this?
planters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:33 PM   #2

Might just be time to take the battery out.I had a similar problem with a low battery eveb thought it has some charge on it.
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:57 PM   #3

I tired putting a fully charged battery in the camera, but that did not fix the problem. Any other ideas, anybody?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:16 PM   #4

Autofocus might fail if there's not enough contrast (and light) inside the square of the focus point(s) you are using. Try focussing in day light on an edge of a building, for example, for good contrast. If that doesn't work, there could be something wrong indeed.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:16 AM   #5

That's not the problem either. Does anybody know how long the warranty is for this lens?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:27 PM   #6

Typically one year. At least in the US, Canon only gives you that warranty if you bought the "US version", i.e. not gray import. The US products have a red/white warranty card with more info.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:55 PM   #7

Planters49,

Sorry to hear you seem to be having problems with focus on your Canon 28-135mm lens. I have this lens also and I'm very happy with it (it's my walkaround lens).

Focus is great on my copy of the lens, and actually in my experience there are a few occasions when my lens will allow me to focus slightly CLOSER at the tele range (e.g. 50mm - 135mm) than at the 28-50mm range. (i.e. often at 28-35mm and sometimes 28-50mm it seems to reach the "minimum focus distance" but if I zoom to 100 or 135mm (holding the camera / lens the same distance from subject) it will focus and then allow me to move and focus a few centimetres closer still even! (but this is not a big matter for me. Focus is accurate for me and around the stated minimum "macro" range of around 0.5metres.

Let us know how you go with your problem and if any resolution / warrantee can be found to fix it.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:27 PM   #8

I found out (although I already had a feeling) that the warranty is indeed only 1 year and I have had and used this lens for about 2 years now.

I called canon tech support and they said I would have to send the lens to one of their factory service centers. I asked the tech support guy how much it would cost to fix the lens and he said I would have to send it to the factory service center first and they would let me know how much it would cost to fix it. Has anybody else ever sent a lens to canon to have it fixed without knowing how much it will cost? This is my main lens so I don't want to worry about it getting lost by canon or anything.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:27 PM   #9

Both you and Canon are in a bad situation here. Your concern and reluctance to send your lens off for unknown charges is understandable. Yet Canon has absolutely no way of knowing what's wrong with it until they can examine it. It's really unfair to expect them to make a diagnosis over the phone. What to do? Idunno:roll:
Broncosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:21 PM   #10

I understand that they can't tell what is wrong with the lens without looking at it. I'm more worried about it getting lost in the process, that's why I'm asking if anybody has had to send a lens to canon before and if they have to please tell me how the process went.