Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 15, 2006, 6:45 AM   #1

This is my first DSLR and i spent quite a bit of money so i have high expectations, maybe a bit to hight?

I think im having issues with the above lens, it gives me some purple artifacts that i dont like to much.

My biggest issue is at the licenseplate and above it, is this usererror or am i having a problems with the lens?
Shot with tripod.

Aperture f/4.5
ISO 100
Shutter1/160 sec
Focal Length 200 mm

At this link are a few more images i took at different Apertures and they have the same problems :O.

tsaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2006, 6:54 AM   #2

There seems to be CA (chromatic aberrations) present. This would be strictly a lens issue, not adSLR issue. I'm not sure about the CA measurements for this lens, since you say the focal legnth is 200 mm that's probably the zoom range with the most CA. Maybe others with this lens can comment on their experiences.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:50 AM   #3

Is there something that can be done about this?

Can it be adjusted by Sigma or something, or is this just the way the lens is?

The subject dident allow me to write the full name of the lens but this is the new Macro version of the lens, maybe that was a bad choise on my part?

After paying $1350 for a lens this is not what i expected:sad:
Old Jul 15, 2006, 9:18 AM   #4

There is very slight fringing along the top of the car but I don't really see very much. Might even be the door panel.
The license plate area is badly out of focus due to your using a too large an aperture. The bottom of the windscreen is in focus but the depth of field at f4.5 is too shallow to get the whole car in focus. If your tripod is a bit flimsy for your big chunky lens you might find a faster shutter speed might help too.
Try f8-10 and you should find this shot crystal clear. If you don't have a decent tripod, boost the ISO so that you can get a better shutter speed.
As mentioned in another post, dslrs do little adjustment in-camera and new users mistake this for low quality. Adjust the levels in an editing program and apply a little unsharp mask and your shots can really improve.
This pic will still be largely out-of-focus and slightly motion blurred though...

Here's a quick attempt:- levels, re-size, sharpen
Attached Images

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Log

tsaros wrote: After paying $1350 for a lens this is not what i expected:sad:

did you do your shopping? as i can find this lens for around $900 from a reputable dealer.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news

-Logan

PS there are Photo Shop actions to remove purple fringing (chromatic abberation) just do a search
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:01 AM   #6

Log wrote:
Quote:
tsaros wrote: After paying $1350 for a lens this is not what i expected:sad:

did you do your shopping? as i can find this lens for around $900 from a reputable dealer.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news

-Logan

PS there are Photo Shop actions to remove purple fringing (chromatic abberation) just do a search

Any news is good news, and nobody would be more happy then me if this is usererror

$1350 is the best price avalible in Sweden for this lens, but we seldom have good prices on anything

$6,87 for a us Gal of premium gas
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:16 AM   #7

Try this site:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...0_28/index.htm

The review says that CA in this lens is okay and nothing to worry about.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:23 AM   #8

I have read lots of reviews on the non Macro version of this lens and they all seem great, thats more or less why i bought this one.

I dident think that the new version would perform less, but i will do as suggested and try faster shutterspeeds and F8-10 and see if that improves my problem.

I will also try to find the PS actions mentioned here before and try that.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:04 AM   #9

I just purchased the Sigma 70-200 Macro ($800 US)and found it to be as good orbetter then my 70-200 Canon L 2.8 none IS. The biggest thing I have found so far is watching the aperture and always with non IS the speed. Ive included a photo I just randomly shot when I first got the lens, lite PS contrast and unsharpen mask 50/1.5/1.3.

114mm/f4/iso400/1.60sec handheld

Attached Images

kjinbos is offline   Reply With Quote