Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:35 PM   #1

Is there a specific brand or retailer (website) that sells lense hoods for Canon lenses?

I don't want to pay the ridiculous amount Canon charges for a simple plastic mold ($50 for a 70-300mm lense hood).

I've heard of 3rd party lense hoods but have been unable to track any such lense hoods down.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:21 PM   #2

There are third party generic brands that only go by thelens filter thread size. These tend tocause vignetting because they have a circular design not a petal shape specifically designed for the lens. I spent $15 for one to use on my 28 - 135 mm lens and ended up paying the $27 for the Canon product. I checked the hood and unfortunately there was no name. I think it was a cokin. That's why I like Sigmalenses is that they provide lens hoodsfor most of their lenses, even$85 lenses. I recently took a look at some of my old thread mount lenses and realized that back then, most lens were "L quality"(metal, tripod mount,lens hood and the best lens the company could make).
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:57 AM   #3

Not only should one get a Canon brand lens hood for a Canon brand lens but if one is using a 1.6 crop factor camera (20D, et) it may be well worth looking into a more appropriate hood for one of Canon's lenses that come with a hood.
jjonsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:03 PM   #4

Browse EBay,and you willsee 3rd party lens hoods for Canon and other lenses. I can't vouch for their quality but they are out there. There are also sellers who offeralens and its hood seperately. You may findthe Canon OEMhood you want. Lastly, as jjonsalt commented, members of this forum havesuggested smaller hoods forsome Canon lenses when used withsmaller sensor cameras. Try a search on this forum.
ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:34 PM   #5

Try Quantaray. I purchased a 72 mm Quantaray lens shade (hood) for my Canon 28 - 135 lens for $7.99 at RITZ camera. Later I had to purchase the Canon model for $28.00 because this one didn't work well at full telephotozoom.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:12 PM   #6
NHL

I don't get it...
Why do 3rd party lenses always come with hood (and case) as standard and not Canon? :idea:

-> Theses newer hoods are bayonet mount and reversible on the lens - a generic filter mounted hood is pretty tacky in this century... :lol: :-) :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:35 PM   #7

Because Canon knows there are many people who will pay to have their accessories say "Canon" on it!

(like me)
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:32 PM   #8

My brother-in-law purchased a 3rd party lens hood for his Canon lens...terrible vignetting. You really need to purchase a hood that's specifically designed for your lens. For example, I looked in ebay and saw an EW-83E hood clone. I dunno how exactly it matches the genuine thing, but...I didn't take the chance...I bought the real thing.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:47 PM   #9

The third part manufacturers may very well sell their lenses without the case and hood and just have them at cheaper prices. Who knows, maybe their lens hoods also cost $30 :blah:

Again, no idea why Canon sells their lenses with hood & pouch in Japan but not anywhere else. I have no real gripe for the cost, it's just annoying to try and get seperately.

You can also think about the crop factor with full-frame lenses... The 17-40 L can actually use the lens hood that was originally made for the 24 L on the 1.6x body. So you're more feel to choose a lens hood that will "optimize" performance.

BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote