Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 17, 2006, 1:52 AM   #1

I am strongly considering the XT, but would like to know if the kit lense it comes with it worth the buy, or would I be better off buying body only? I know of course that there are better quality lenses than the kit lense, at a price, but I would just like to know if the kit lense is a good place to start or to bypass.
kuulaaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:12 AM   #2

The kit lens is not too terrible - in fact, for an $80 lens it performs quite well. The lens, like many other lenses, gets knocked for poor performance when in fact it's user error at fault. For some odd reason, people expect perfect images out of a DSLR and when they see some soft images or poor color they imediately blame the equipment.

You are not going to get a better performing zoom lens for that same $80. But, as you've noted, there are better lenses out there. Many people starting out with an XT will get a kit with the 17-85 lens - which adds about $400 to the cost of the kit rather than a kit with the 18-55.

My advice is to stick with one of these 2 lenses until you have a better idea of what you want out of your lenses.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:58 PM   #3

Nice, thanks for the advice.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 8:33 PM   #4

I've owned a DSLR for about 3 months now; I have the Rebel XT with kit lense. As JohnG said, for $80 the kit lense is a great buy and a great starter lense.

I've started to really produce some good pictures with the kit lense by way of using a tripod (key to sharp images!) and stopping down the lense. Below is an example from an image I just took this weekend using my Rebel XT and the kit lense.

Shot in Aperture-priority, f/11, 1/60sec, 25mm (JPEG straight from camera, no post-processing)

Original image resized:

Here are two 100% crops:

Now for an $80 zoom lense, I think that is pretty darn good image quality. It could be improved further with a few minutes of post-processing.

Hope that helps.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:26 PM   #5

Yeah, that helps alot thanks!! Are you happy with your XT? Anything that you do not like about the camera?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:45 PM   #6

It's a little on the small side...but I have smaller hands so it fits me pretty good. Make sure you've held one in your hands before committing because it is often too small.

Otherwise it's a great DSLR for the money.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:29 PM   #7

I think the kit lens is decent. It resolved substantially more detail than my very soft (and possibly defective) Sigma 24-200mm f/2.8 did, and even though I have a 24-105mm in my bag now, I still use the kit lens for wider angle shots.
oliver_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:23 PM   #8

The kit lens is definitely worth it for the price. You just have to know what the limitations are and avoid them all all cost!

Outdoors where you can use f/8-f/11 are best for wider angle shots. On the long end, it's pretty decent even at f/5.6.

If I were to complain about the XT, it would be the build quality and the the placement of the AF points. I don't really like the dim viewfinder (that makes it near impossible for accurate manual focusing for long distanced subjects), or the 1.8'' LCD. I mean, come on, P&S now have them at 2.5-3'' and here I am with a dSLR and have a dinky LCD. The cheap grip and plastic body doesn't help with the build quality, either.

But! If you're ever to apply the "Don't judge a book by its cover" theme, this would be the time. The XT's insides are very robust and can produce pictures similiar to the 20D/30D.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 5:14 PM   #9

I just got the XT with the kit lens a week ago. Being a beginner, I have been impressed with some shots I have taken with it. Definitely good to start out on, and it's really inexpensive.
elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote