Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:02 PM   #31

Ah....I found the lens professor NHL here. I have a question.

I came across Pentax deal with Hoya is going like these links below:

In fact I didn't know about the Pentax Hoya merger, only Pentax Samsung relationship. So, what Hoya has anything to do with Pentax anyway? Making lenses for Pentax? The funny things is both articles mentioned how can Pentax compete with such rivals as Canon.Howdo you interprete this news?

http://www.fool.com/investing/intern...or-pentax.aspx

http://online.wsj.com/preview_login....s%26ru%3Dyahoo
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:53 AM   #32

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
I came across Pentax deal with Hoya is going like these links below:

In fact I didn't know about the Pentax Hoya merger, only Pentax Samsung relationship. So, what Hoya has anything to do with Pentax anyway? Making lenses for Pentax? The funny things is both articles mentioned how can Pentax compete with such rivals as Canon.Howdo you interprete this news?
No offense Coldshot, but what does this have to do with this thread? Not saying it's not a good question but it has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic of which Canon mount lens the OP should select for his sports shooting needs.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:33 AM   #33

If it has anything to do with Pentax trying to catch up with lenses shortage compare to vast Canon lenses selection we discuss here.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:55 PM   #34
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
was that manuallly metered???

coz the spot metering sometimes doesnt get the right exposure...but i am talking with respect to a 5D.
I mostly use partial metering because it is highly selective for small centered subject, but also account for the surroundings - spot will usually not work unless you multi-spots several reading because unless the subject is neutra, a black (or white) bird will opverexpose (or underexpose) with just 1 reading... On the above shot I was shooting against an open sky so I increased the +EV to lighten up the bird shadow a bit

Evaluative metering will usually not work for small subjects surrounded by large areas of unrelated light (or dark) background, especially in flight... Manual also work quite well because it doesn't care what the background is, but rely on constant incident daylight instead, - This works best on clear sky or overcast, but wouldn't work if the cloud cover varies in/out

NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:06 PM   #35
NHL

I think Hoya is trying to get Pentax on the cheap! :idea:
(... just like Sony)
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:07 PM   #36
NHL

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
If it has anything to do with Pentax trying to catch up with lenses shortage compare to vast Canon lenses selection we discuss here.

This why the Pentax (and Sony) are putting the "anti-shake" in their bodies to catch up to the Canon (and Nikon): In one fell-swoop of 1 camera design they've just upgraded their entire line of lenses to IS (100% which not even Canon can claim with their huge line-up) - The problem is their volume are still too small to warrant the attention of 3rd party lenses, but once this has caught up I believe we have some true winners here for the entry market.

Imagine a stablilized Tamron 200-500 or the Tokina 10-17 fisheye zoom on a Pentax for example: several holes in the Canon line up!
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:59 PM   #37

NHL wrote:
Quote:

This why the Pentax (and Sony) are putting the "anti-shake" in their bodies to catch up to the Canon (and Nikon): In one fell-swoop of 1 camera design they've just upgraded their entire line of lenses to IS (100% which not even Canon can claim with their huge line-up) - The problem is their volume are still too small to warrant the attention of 3rd party lenses, but once this has caught up I believe we have some true winners here for the entry market.

Imagine a stablilized Tamron 200-500 or the Tokina 10-17 fisheye zoom on a Pentax for example: several holes in the Canon line up!
You have a solid point, it makes sense, however to catch up with Canon and Nikon is still foverver in a far far away future...Canon and Nikon are the professional language in photography, you don't show up at a job interview with anything but a Canon or Nikon system at those studios in W. LA, Hollywood, zip code 90038... with hidden studios everywhere in the back alley entrance, someareas big as a whole street block with plain close door even during business hours, the local residences don't even know they exist. How can you brag about anti shake system you have while theinterviewer is a Nikon or Canon guy, and when you see their gallery in the hallway you just don't have the nerve to show your own portfolio to him. Those trucks came back from the weekend on location shoot arriveevery Mon morning at Sammy's Camera at the Fairfax districtto return their rental equipment, those returned items are for Nikon or Canon system.

You are very good at analysing/identifying lenses, I respect your born talent, you already know how good Nikon glass is, before I had no idea how good Nikon lenses are, I've seen pictures, they do look exceptional, but that's about it, until I got a job working in the microelectronic firm, I work with high powered microscobes on a daily basis with all kind of makes and brand, when I looked into the Nikon microscobe, my reaction was....wow, now I know Nikon, not the pictures from a Nikonlens the final product, on the Nikon microscobe, you can see the real clear glass the fearsome lens coating of Nikon.

People said buying Canon or Nikon is just to have the label on your neck, true to some but in Nikon country paticularly in the middle between LA and San diego S. CA, not to mention all other areas of the country, and around the world, in third world countries the wedding business is all week you always have people have weddings from Mon-Sun not like us here onlyon the weekend, they use either Canon or Nikon,those senior Nikon usersarepassing on their system to the next generation, they train them to take pictures their traditional way, those veterans still use the FM2, F4, F5...some moved up to dslr, their kids also are now Nikon users. The same with Canon. What Pentax have during the late 70's to compete with Nikon, or Canon F1 and A1 up to this day those cameras still clicking. I was a Pentax user myself, actually I own a few other system too, the ME series, I had 3 of them, none last to this day, when you hook up the winder you know that you shorten the shutter's life. Back to the Hoya Pentax deal, I think Hoya could help Pentax to ease up the lens shortage, supply and demand, but at this stage that deal is unknown and it's very interesting to see where Pentax is heading. In the meantime there are still two key players Canon and Nikon. Yes I agree, Pentax does well in the entry market. All Pentax has to do is to makesuper telezooms, reasonable price and stay there, it can see more money coming in, that's what I'm looking for if I go with Pentax system.

Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:49 PM   #38

I have been battingthis same issue around for about a year. My stock lens is on its last legs ( its been damagaed from 2 bad drops ) nad I am looking into a few new lenses and I want a 70-200 f2.8 glass, and use a 2x conveter to reach out and touch stuff.

I just find it hard to eat 1200-1600 for a lens thats almost 2x my Rebel XT.

but for the 3 or 4 lenses i am looking at

Canon 70-200 USN L 2.8f $1200
Canon 2x Extender $280
Knko 2x AF Teleconverter $100
Tokina AF 12-24 f4 $500

Thats a bit of change, I am looking at th 2x and trying to figure out the pros and cons on the Kenko vs Canon.

And I still would like to get a nice 35-40mm lens for general shooting.

It's enought to make your head hurt.... alot thats for sure.

-Robert
RobAGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:56 PM   #39
NHL

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
You have a solid point, it makes sense, however to catch up with Canon and Nikon is still foverver in a far far away future...
But the future is quite muddy...
Nikon is now down to 6th place: http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#dc_2006
The digital camera business is not driven by the pro's (or dSLRs market share) :idea:
Even Oly is now moving past Nikon (... and they've put IS in their dSLR as well)
Old Apr 17, 2007, 1:06 PM   #40

NHL wrote:
Quote:
But the future is quite muddy...
Nikon is now down to 6th place: http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#dc_2006
The digital camera business is not driven by the pro's (or dSLRs market share) :idea:
Even Oly is now moving past Nikon (... and they've put IS in their dSLR as well)
I don't think it's valid to quote the DIGICAM numbers in this discussion. The relevent numbers are the DSLR numbers - Canon and Nikon are still in a commanding 1, 2 position in DSLR market share. The closest competitor is Sony at 6.2% market share.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

So, while Oly may move past nikon in overal digicams, they are still about 25% behind in DSLR market share and DSLRs is what's being discussed.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote