Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:21 PM   #1

I recently got the Rebel XT with the kit lens. I was browsing Best Buy and saw this, and looked interesting. I always love how when I wear sunglasses, the colors of things around me are brought out much more. I was hoping a polarizer would do the same thing for my camera, is that true? Also, I was wondering if the quality of this polarizer was decent. I already bought a $10 UV filter from there, I don't know if it really does anything besides protect the lens.

So, if anyone could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated. Also, something to note, I'm going to Colorado next week, so would it come in handy there?
elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:43 AM   #2

First, the UV filter for protection, while it's good to have one to protect the lens under adverse conditions (mud, sand, ect flying about), general or routine use of a UV is not reccomended. It's use as such is a throw-back to the distant past when lens glass and coatings (if any) were much softer than in the present many years. And, yes, use of an UV filter as such can be degradeing, distortion, glare and possiable AF problems. I don't know if your sunglasses are polarized or tinted or not, which can make a difference in color rendentation, but a polarizer can be very helpfull in reducing glare and therefor improve color at those times when one is effective.
jjonsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:44 AM   #3

elduderino wrote:
Quote:
I recently got the Rebel XT with the kit lens. I was browsing Best Buy and saw this, and looked interesting. I always love how when I wear sunglasses, the colors of things around me are brought out much more. I was hoping a polarizer would do the same thing for my camera, is that true? Also, I was wondering if the quality of this polarizer was decent. I already bought a $10 UV filter from there, I don't know if it really does anything besides protect the lens.

So, if anyone could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated. Also, something to note, I'm going to Colorado next week, so would it come in handy there?
Yes, that "sunglasses effect" is pretty much what a circular polarizer does. Notice that as your rotate the circular polarizer, the effect intensifies, especially if you are at a 90 degree angle to the sun.

Regarding the $20 polarizer, it would be fine for the kit lens but you should definitely consider upgrading the polarizer if you upgrade your lens. More expensive polarizers are multi-coated, which means they have a coating which reduces glare. This is the same coating technology that many "designed for digital" lenses are also coated with. You have an inexpensive lens, so an inexpensive polarizer would be appropriate. But just like your lens choice, you are sacrificing some image quality for affordability.

Bottom line, a circular polarizer will enhance to your outdoor photos. They deepen blue skies, add punch and contrast to skies, intensify colors and reduce haze. A side effect of the polarizer is that they reduce exposure by a couple stops. In dimmer environments, this may mean that you'll need a tripod. This can also be an advantage if you're trying to reduce shutter speeds to convey movement, such as water flow.

Hope this helps,

Chris M
http://www.imagineimagery.com

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:01 PM   #4

I went ahead and bought it while I was on vacation, did a pretty decent job. Ended up breaking it though, strong winds in the mountains blew it out of my hand and hit a rock. :-) Oh well. Here's a sample of what it was able to do:

elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote