Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:21 AM   #1

Hi.

I am getting a Canon 30D this week and am looking for one very good lens to start with. My initial thinking was to get a 50mm 1.4 based on my film days. I then realized with the 1.6 crop factory that I would need to get a 35mm lens. Upon further thinking I figured I would be getting a zoom at some point and I would be duplicating my efforts with the 35mm prime lens.

So what would you suggest for one great lens to start? My thought was the Canon 17-55 2.8 ISM. Is this a good lens to start with or are there any other suggestions in terms if focal lengths?

Thanks,
Ken
ken6217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:28 AM   #2

Well that is simply the best lens there is to go with a 30D. It costs more than the camera though. There are similiar lenses only without the IS from Sigma, Tamron and Tokina which are all fantastic and about one third the price. IS isn't as useful at 50mm as it is at longer focal lengths so if money is an issue then the others are pretty good substitutes. If you have the cash then the 17-55f2.8IS is as good as it gets at the moment.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:21 PM   #3

I know primes are not in fashion, but I love the 50mm 1.4. Of course it acts longer onthe 1.6 crop, but it's perfect for portraits. On the 30d, you can dial up the ISO and shoot in the dark. I keep it on my body most of the time, switch to wide-angle or telephoto as conditions require.

That said, If i had the 17-55, i might never take it off. I do like the 1.4.
jcepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:18 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The Canon 28mm f1.8 is a very nice "normal" lens on the crop cameras. And of course there is the Sigma 30mm f1.4.

The Canon 35mm f2 is probably due a replacement soon.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:51 PM   #5

"switch to wide-angle or telephoto as conditions require"

can anyone explain this. also considering a prime. more than likely the 85mm. Having never owned one, I am assuming there is no zoom function with a prime. I thought you let your feet do the zooming. so, are there settings that DO give you additional functionality such as this "switch" mentioned above??
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:13 AM   #6

I believe the 'switch' mentioned is in reference to switching lenses. There is no mechanical switch on a prime lens that allows it to change focal length.

you have to realize though that zooming with your feet accomplishes only so much. You just can't get the same field of view at 85mm that you can with, say, 17mm or 12mm. So, while primes are great - depending on your subject you are often forced to switch to a different prime to get the FOV or reach that you want. The benefit, of course, is they are typically better optically than zooms (not always, but in general).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:04 AM   #7
NHL

I agree with JohnG that on a cropped 30D, the two lenses that peripatetic listed: the Canon 28mm f/1.8 and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 are much more flexible as a 'normal' than an 85mm which really has the FOV of a 135mm (a 'specialized' telephoto lens) that would to "switch to wide-angle or telephoto as conditions require" more often than not!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:47 PM   #8

"switch to wide-angle or telephoto as conditions require"

My comment was indeed about switching lens. Sorry for the confusion.
jcepp is offline   Reply With Quote