Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:46 AM   #1

Posted this in Newbie section but probablly should have posted here. I am pretty new to DSLR photography. I just got a Canon 30d and I am looking for a good zoom lens to shoot little league baseball, football and some mountain bike racing my son participates in. I have been referred to these two lens quit a bit (Canon 70-200 F4L and Sigma 70-200 2.8 Macro) but thought I would ask for some input on this forum. I have heard that going with the 2.8 will give me a larger range of shooting capabilities as you can shoot in lower light and use faster shutter speeds for action shots. Not sure I know what I need, so any suggestions, thoughts and advice would be great.
doitdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:05 AM   #2

One of the big differences for me is in weight. The Sigma is heavier. You also get the macro capability and the extra stop for low light and more bokeh. Canon is a little easier to carry. Both have excellent optics...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:16 AM   #3
NHL

This is where the new Sigma 'digital' APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX comes in: :idea:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=6

--> Nearly the same weight as the f/4 and it's a digital only lens- so expect it to have a high MTF numbers...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:44 PM   #4

NHL wrote:
Quote:
This is where the new Sigma 'digital' APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX comes in: :idea:
150mm is too short for the sports in question though.

In fact 200mm is a little short. But, I would suggest the Sigma 70-200 2.8 NON MACRO - the psuedo-macro ability buys you nothing for sports and the elements were redesigned so the new Macro version does not have much of a track record yet (good or bad). So,I would suggest looking at that lens plus a 1.4x TC - you'll want the added reach when lighting is good.

But, in general, you are going to want 2.8 for sports - if you don't get it now you'll end up getting it down the road and it'll cost you more (since you won't be able to sell even an excellent lens like the Canon 70-200 f4 for 100% what you paid).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:14 AM   #5

Just a quick reminder that you will lose one stop with the TC so it won't be 2.8 any more. But will still give you more reach than the Canon at the same F/4...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote