Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:16 AM   #1

I remember i bought this lens in 92, when i bought my Eos film camera, i still have this lens and am thinking of keeping it and justforget about buying the 70-300 IS NEW, as i've had good results with the 100-300. So what ineed is what lens hood is for the 100-300, and as far as image quality goes how does the 100-300 stack up with the 70-300 thanks.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:54 AM   #2

I've never known/understood why Canon didn't make the 100-300 USM with image stabilization- the 100-300 is such a better lens from an ergonomics standpoint. It would have been such a better lens coupledwith the ring USM and ISvs. the micro motor in the 75-300 and now the 70-300. I'm not sure the optical differences are that great- the difference is the ability to hold the camera still enough zoomed to 300mm, and the 70-300 with the IS technology will make that much easier, but if you are getting good results with the 100-300, why change, unless the money's burning a hole in your pocket? From a mechanical point of view, the 100-300 is superior and optically, putting it nicely, the 70-300 isn't a higher calibre lens. It's the image stabilization part whereyou've got to ask yourself if it's a difference worth having.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:36 AM   #3

Hi Hercules and Hi Greg.

I have had the Canon 100-300 USM f4.5-5.6 for some months now and I'm happy with it. I bought it when I was last in the UK, early May. (I live in Romania, and there are very few lenses you can buy here, or otherwise you order them in and they cost double!). I was also considering the Canon 70-300 USM IS but as worried about the soft "portrait" positionproblem and not being able to get it serviced from Romania. Also the 100-300 was about half the price then, thanwhat the 70-300 was. So I went with the 100-300 and I'm happy with many shots I get from this lens.

Since getting the lens I've discovered how important it is to have a fast enough shutter speed when zoomed at 300mm for example. I generally get good "candid" shots handheld at around 1/300 or 1/400second or faster, OR if I'm really concentrating on holding it steady, around 1/200 second. I'm sure IS would be very helpful in remedying this in many situations (but not all situations). I have the Canon 28-135mm USM IS lens which I realise I leave on IS and that's handy too. Thankfully the Canon digital rebel XT / 350D camera has very good high ISO quality, so I can safely set the ISO to 400, 800 or 1600 for many shots. If there is too much noise, I use noiseware to reduce the noise to acceptable levels.

If I did it over again I would like to try (test) a 70-300mm USM IS lens on my camera and see the quality (sharpness) as compared to the 100-300 USM lens, especially at 300mm. I've read many user reviews about both lenses, and I'd say that the 70-300 USM IS lens is definitely sharper, but I'm not sure by how much. I've seen some good photos from the 100-300mm lenses on the net too and I think it depends a lot on the photographer rather than minor differences between lenses, though I'm not denying that IS would help in some situations!

I like the fact that the 100-300 has the same type of internal focusing and full time manual focus as my 28-135 has, and also that it's USM focus is smart and quick. When I was at the seaside I realised how difficult it can be to get sharp photos with waves and lots of movement (e.g. shorter depth of field of f5.6 at 300mm, the subject can easily move out of the infocus range, when crashing waves push someone back and forth quickly) So a quick focus helps. Also I needed to learn that the lens would sometimes focus on the water rather than the person if I wasn't accurate enough.

I'd also be interested to seethe side by side differences of a 70-300mm USM IS and the 100-300 usm. While I agree the 100-300mm is somewhat softer at 300mm than at 100mm and it might lack a bit of contrast and colour, that's the beauty of digital photography and with a bit of post-processing decent resultscan be achieved. Here is a link to a post I uploaded recently and it includes some portraits (3) using the 100-300mm lens. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=5

But just to share something here too, I'm includinga few recent sample photos using the 100-300 lens.. The ones here are all handheld and all at 300mm.

Hope you don't mind my... LONG answer... even if it doesn't provide maybe any direct comparison with the 70-300 IS.

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:42 AM   #4

By the way, I agree with Greg, it seems better (for us) if Canon would have made the 100-300 USM with IS (rather Canon choose to put IS on the 75-300 first). I love the feel and usability of the 100-300 USM.

photo 2 - having wave-ski (jet-ski) fun!
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:43 AM   #5

and finally photo 3... a crop from a seagull photo - again at 300mm

Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:44 PM   #6

Hi pj, nice shots, here's a couple with my 100-300 USM, but i do think i'm going to get the 70-300.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:25 AM   #7

Hi Hercules,

Thanks for sharing a few of your photos from your 100-300mm lens. I like the boat one especially... and I noted a photo you took with the same lens in the travel section / forum. That straight out of the camera photo was very good!

All the best with your possible new planned purchase (70-300 USM IS). I don't argue that the newer 70-300 is a superior lens to the older 100-300 USM which I (and you) currently have, both in terms of IS ability as well as being somewhat sharper. Also it has a wider 70mm "wide end" which can be helpful. (I just couldn't justify it at the time being around twice the price and I was worried about the possible portrait problem which has since been justified).

Please do share some more photos, especially if you purchase your new lens, perhaps do a quick comparison / test (e..g sharpness, focusing abilities, IS difference, etc). That would be interesting for me and others to find out from you.

Cheers

Paul