Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:30 AM   #1

I am an amateur photographer and have recently purchased a 30D and a 17-85 IS lens.

My main interests are people and landscapes (scenery), but I plan to expand my interests.

My question is: What should my next lens be?

My budget is $1800.00 and I have been looking at the 70-200 2.8 IS. I have also thought about purchasing the 70-300 4.5/5.6 IS lens and using the remaining money to purchase another lens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

I am an amateur photographer and have recently purchased a 30D and a 17-85 IS lens.

My main interests are scenery and people but I will probably be dabbling in all aspects of photography.

My budget is $1800 and I am considering the 70-200 2.8 IS. I have also thought about the 70-300 IS 4.5/5.6 and maybe using the remaining money to purchase another lens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

am an amateur photographer and have recently purchased a 30D and a 17-85 IS lens.

My main interests are scenery and people but I will probably be dabbling in all aspects of photography.

My budget is $1800 and I am considering the 70-200 2.8 IS. I have also thought about the 70-300 IS 4.5/5.6 and maybe using the remaining money to purchase another lens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave
bogey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:49 PM   #2

If you lend me $1800, I promised that after I ordered and used a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS L lens for couple months, I will let you know my opinion.:blah:
I was on the same boat with you after I have the 30D & lens kit. As you mentioned that you're interested in people & landscape, I recommended the 70-200mm 2.8 IS L lens, since it allows you to take picture from distant and people more in nature mood. It can be a best lens for wedding too as several posts I read in here.

QV
Quanvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:13 PM   #3

i am not sure how legal it is to picture people. If thats the case 70-200 f2.8 Sigma will be a great choice for arnd 850$ which comes with a macro. For landscape u have sigma 10-20, canon 10-20, sigma 12-24, tokina 12-24. Price ranges between 450-700 dollors.

Since you already have the 17mm covered, may be you should try taking more pictures and see if 12mm would be needed for you taste of scenery photographs.

U can as well spend some money on a good flash. The built in flash is pretty useless in many situation.

Hope u spend it well.

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:51 PM   #4

bogey59 wrote:
Quote:
My main interests are people and landscapes (scenery), but I plan to expand my interests.

Dave,

the answer really depends on where you want to expand your interests into. IMO, the 70-200 2.8 IS is an outstanding lens but completely useless for certain types of photography. Don't EVER buy a piece of gear just because someone tells you it's the best lens out there. Case in point, if you wanted to 'expand' into portrait, wildlife or macro work there are much better ways to spend your money to meet your objectives.

So, what do you want to expand into that you think your current lens will be unable to help with?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote