Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:55 PM   #1

I want to do 1 simple thing Argh I can't get the S3 IS to stop fast moving action Cars that are going 30 MPH and I'm standing still are a Blurry mess.

a cheap Kodak disposeable does a better job

What setting do I have to be in to Stop a motion on a car going liek 30 and it not be a blurry mess, and I don't want to use Flash.

Even the sports mode is blurry I'm starting to thing theres soemthing wrong with my camera
IceColdKila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:28 AM   #2

I use P mode on my S2, iso 50 or 100and be sure and set the light right.

I'm sure others can be of more help.

James
jcotton55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 5:43 PM   #3

Canon S3 has a shutter priority mode labelled Tv. With this you set the shutter speed and allow the camera to set the aperture (diaphragm opening size) to match the light.

With enough light, you should be able to set the shutter speed up around 1/500 sec and freeze a 30-mph car if you are standing back a reasonable distance. Start with that value and then use a faster shutter if you still see blur, or try slowing it down if it is sharp enough to suit you, and see what the slowest shutter is that give you the result you want.

As you slow the shutter, the camera will decrease the aperture and give you greater depth of field. This is good if you are wanting to include the surroundings to give context to the car's setting, or bad if you prefer to blur the background to visually emphasize the car itself. So to show just the car and blur everything else, you will want the fastest shutter speed the light allows. The camera will then widen the aperture to the max and minimize the depth of field.

You will also getter better pictures of the car if you pan with the car - move the camera horizontally to track the car and keep it in the viewfinder. Turn off the screen and use the optical viewfinder to do this effectively. Then the motion blur will be on the background more than the car, and the car will emphasized in your picture.

Hope this helps you. Fine camera - just feel very free to play with the controls and see what you get, how the pictures change. One of the beauties of digital photography is you can experiment without the cost of film and developing, so play, play, play!
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:24 PM   #4

Thanks for the info

It was 2nd day Panic with a very Complex new S3

I'm now stopping Helicopter blades in motion forget about cars

its all proper lighting and shutter speed.

the S3 can do it all

IceColdKila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:24 AM   #5

So what did you do to get the helicopter blades? What settings?
vinceo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 5:30 AM   #6

Generally on a bright daylight you can capture fast moving object very easily. I normally use Aperture priority and set it to lowest value possible (largest opening). This also helps give a dramatic blur on the surrounding as it tends to narrow down the DOF. It also helps with the timing if you can pre-focus.

If lighting is a bit of a problem, like early morning or late afternoonor on cloudy weather, try to experiment on the ISO settings go higher but use the lowest one that gives the best result. IMO, ISO 800 is useless in the S3.
blackspot is offline   Reply With Quote