Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:28 PM   #1

Out of curiousity...does anyone know how much video i can take with a SD 2.0 Gig Sandisk Card, or 2Gig in general? I would be recording in 640x480 I beleive. I dont have a video cam, and i want to record this show tommorrow. Might be an 1hr- 1hr 30mins...

Thanks!:-)

Current time is 12:26 am
guitardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:59 PM   #2

The A610 eats memory cards for breakfast at 640x480. I believe in the order of 1.7 MB per second which would last only for some 20 minutes.

There are also a few problems with this. The A610 has lousy soundin video mode. I have one of them and it is my only gripe about this camera. You will get a constant hissing noise in the background. Other users have complained about the same in this forum, so I know it is not just my camera.

Also, unless you use a memory card reader to download your pictures and videos to your computer, you won't be able to transfer a file bigger than 1 GB from the camera to the computer. This is some sort of limitation in the camera.

The camera is ok for shooting short video clips but for what you want to do, a real video camera is your best choice. Digital still cameras with video capabilities are no substitute for a video camera.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 8:47 PM   #3

luisr wrote:
Quote:
Also, unless you use a memory card reader to download your pictures and videos to your computer, you won't be able to transfer a file bigger than 1 GB from the camera to the computer. This is some sort of limitation in the camera.
Memory card reader or not doesn't matter. The camera is limited to record max 1GB sized video clips anyway. That's about 8 minutes of video in 30 fps VGA mode.

Many Powershot owners are however unable to transfer video files larger than ~200MB over an USB 2.0 connection to computers running Windows XP. This is where a memory card reader can be used as a work-around (or to transfer large files from the camera using Linux instead). Canon's helpdesk is as clueless and unhelpful as most helpdesks are, so it's unknown whether this is a bug in the camera's firmware, in Canon's software, or in Windows, and whether something is being done about it.

Seehund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 8:57 PM   #4

Since I never transfer from the camera directly file size is not an issue in my case. I thought that the 1 GB limit was for the transfer, not the video file size. Thanks for the correction.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:58 PM   #5

2 gigs is close to 2 10 min clips. 10 min is pretty long and just stop start to keep going.

the whining noise is no good for anything other then very loud sounds. im guessing its auto gain control ramping it up too high

edit..i had no problem transferring 5 min 550mb clip by drag drop.

ed
EddieF is offline   Reply With Quote