Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:19 PM   #1

Just received my SD 700 IS and I love the image quality and camera features. But the white noise that is recorded along with the movie really makes this camera not usable for movies in my opinion. The sample movie on Steve's review of the camera doesn't have this noise (at least not as bad as my camera). So I am wondering if this is something wrong with my camera. I am also considering getting another Canon such as and SD 600 that might not have the movie noise issue. Anyone not getting noise with the movie function?
Entr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:21 AM   #2

I don't have one of these cameras but I have been reading up on them and also the S3, which I'll be buying soon as a companion to my 20D.

The S3 has a wind-filter switch which when turned on is supposed to suppress the recording of wind-noise, which is what your "white noise" is most likely caused by. Perhaps the S700 has such a noise suppression capability?
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:54 AM   #3

I have the same problem with my SD700. It's definitely not caused by "finger on mic" as I ran many tests and they all confirm it. Many people on Amazon.com are also complaining about the noise.

I have not yet found a solution. I'm thinking about returning the camera and getting and SD800. Can anyone confirm whether this issue is also a problem on SD800?
kociubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 2:02 PM   #4

Update: I exchanged my SD700 for another one. This time, the sound is much, much better. No more crackling and hissing noises. It turns out the original camera I had was defective.
kociubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:10 PM   #5

My mom is also having this problem with her camera. Glad to know she's not alone and the camera can be exchanged!
guilheb is offline   Reply With Quote