Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 22, 2006, 5:06 AM   #11

I also have a Canon S3 IS and a Sandisk Ultra II 2GB card. I have owned it for less than one week. Using a card reader I uploaded a few experimental photos onto my PC using Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition. At the end of this process Photoshop Album removed the photos from the card. When I next went to use the camera I had the dreaded "memory card error". I have tried to Low level Format the card in the camera. I have tried to format it on the PC with the card reader. I have tried to format it using Panasonic's SD Formatter V2.0.

None of these efforts have been successful. Canon'swebsite is absolutely dumb on this issue.

It seems many people have this problem with in one form or another with varying hardware configurations. What is the common feature? The camera? The SD card?
thommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 5:06 AM   #12

I also have a Canon S3 IS and a Sandisk Ultra II 2GB card. I have owned it for less than one week. Using a card reader I uploaded a few experimental photos onto my PC using Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition. At the end of this process Photoshop Album removed the photos from the card. When I next went to use the camera I had the dreaded "memory card error". I have tried to Low level Format the card in the camera. I have tried to format it on the PC with the card reader. I have tried to format it using Panasonic's SD Formatter V2.0.

None of these efforts have been successful. Canon'swebsite is absolutely dumb on this issue.

It seems many people have this problem with in one form or another with varying hardware configurations. What is the common feature? The camera? The SD card?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:00 AM   #13

Hi,
I'm almost sure your problem is in SD card, it is a bit different to the outhers.
Better ask sandisk support waht to to in that case.
What usually I did.
1. Low level format
2. shooting
3. copying pics to my pc
4. format the card

this is the best way to do it, please read carefully manual, also Canon will advise you to use their software for moving pics from card to pc.

Please check if you unintentionaly switch hte protection of SD card to on?

radkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:03 AM   #14

Hi ,

please lets everybody write down what are thier settngs for "create new folder"?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:40 AM   #15

Thankyou for your advice.

I contacted Sandisk who were pretty sure it was a genuine card. They suggested contacting the retailer. I have contacted the retailer and he will replace the card.

I have used a new Kingston 2GB card in the camera and formatted it with the camera first. It works fine.

I think your advice is very accurate. I will use Canon's software to upload pictures onto my PC and regularly low format the card in the camera.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 2:35 PM   #16

Hi, I'm really happy to help you ;-)

Anyway the format is good thing because it delete everything of the card not only pictures, but also extra data which is not the case with cut/pase ;-)
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:22 PM   #17

Hmmm, feel I'm late arriving at this party. I have just the same set up - a Canon S3 IS and a 2Gb Kingston card. I haven't had problems taking pictures, but when i have put the card into my PC I can usually get the photos off, but when i put the card back into the camera i get the memory card error that others report.

I haven't had problems using the Canon software to get the pictures off so...
  1. I'm gonna swap the Kingston card for a better brand[/*]
  2. I'll get 2 x 1 Gb cards to try to cut my losses[/*]
  3. I'll do a low level format and[/*]
  4. I'll use the canon software to get my photos off the card.
[/*]
None of this is going to provide me with a lot of protection, and I'm also annoyed that i won't be able to copy the photos to a CD whilst I'm overseas for added protection.

I do have a question though - can you use the USB cable connected to the camera without installing the Canon software? i imagine I'll be downloading photos in photo shops and internet cafes and I won't be able to install anything there.

I'll be so angry if i lose my pictures...

deskBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:16 AM   #18

I have a new S3 IS and tried to mess up an SD card purposely to see how robust the camera firmware is. I used cards formatted in a Pentax camera, an Ediroldigital sound recorder, and a Treo 650. I took pictures on the Pentax and recorded sound files on the Edirol, then put the SD card in the Canon and shot additional photos and movies without formatting the card. I also used a card reader to upload files to the computer, and deleted some files on the SD card before putting it back in the camera. I also downloaded files from an old Nikon camera onto the SD card, and was amazed to see that the Canon would display them. The only thing it didn't like was photos rotated in the computer and then downloaded to the SD card. But even here, it gave a reasonable error message, and I could still take pictures on the affected card. In general, I would say that the S3 IS firmware is quite robust. Nothing I threw at the camera seemed to bother it.

(As a side note, SD write speeds are faster if you do a high level format in the Canon, and faster still if you do a low level format. This is true even of a brand new card fresh out of the blister pak. But the extra speed isn't even noticeable unless you are shooting more than 10 shots in High-Speed Continuous mode.)

I'm guessing that most of the SD card problems described here are hardware related. It could be that the S3 IS is unusually sensitive to static electricity. I've also heard that weak batteries can cause memory write errors (heard this several times about other cameras I own, but never experienced the problem myself). It takes more juice to write to a 2 gig card, which might account for the large number of 2 gig cards cited as problems in this thread. But power and static issues can screw up any memory operation, or any processor, even in a digital camera. So re-charge and change your batteries often, and try to be careful about static when handling the camera, and especially when handling the card outside of the camera.

(And oh yeah, ignore the Canon tech's comment about not using a card reader, and only using the camera's upload function with their own software. That's just bunk from a tech who could only read the script and didn't know what else to say. Canon's own manual describes how to use a card reader.)
RadicalDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:33 PM   #19

We shud do a poll on users. The questions wud be:
1. do/did you have the problem
2. do you use a card reader or do you use the usb cable to transfer files?
3. how often do you format the card?
Jon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:14 PM   #20

Same problem - The camera destroyed the formatting of the cards for at least the 5th time - and destroyed one of them so that it couldn't even be reformatted.

The problem has nothing to do with a card reader - because in the middle of taking pictures the card got fried and a half-full card turned into error messages.

It seems I can make this error happen somewhat reliably. Two out of the last 2 times my batteries died the card got garbled.

Thanks for the links to the recovery programs. Hopefully they'll help.

ramayer is offline   Reply With Quote