Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 30, 2003, 9:02 PM   #1

Default hesitation in purchasing a Canon A70 over a Nikon 3100

Hi,

New to this forum and its great. I have already been through pasts posts on comparing these 2 cameras.

I really want the Canon but this is what bugs me.

The Nikon 3100 is an old camera which was a very good seller. The A70 is a new model. What i've noticed is there seems to be more complaints about the A70 on this forum then complaints on the 3100 on the Nikon forum page.

Should i use this as an indicator to go for the Nikon? I appreciate your advice.
Happy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2003, 3:54 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums. There can be several factors that may have an impact on number of complaints. One being law of averages:

eg If The A70 sells 4 million worldwide and the Nikon sells 1 million worldwide - law of averages would dictate there will be nore complaints about the A70 - I'm not saying the A70 DOES sell more than the Nikon BUT rather that this situation may be in place and could be a factor.

I too had the same hesitation about the A70 for the same reasons the jury is still out a little for me but I think I'm going to be happy with my choice.

The flip side of the number of complaints is that you also see posts from people who are very happy with the A70.

I would suggest you try to handle both cams and see what you think and look online inc here for examples of pics taken with both of them

You can check out the pics I have taken with mine here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/stefank60100

Another consideration is what you want from a digicam and what the 2 models have to offer in this regard - they are very different cams.

The Nikon lets you set nothing manually (not 100% on this it MAY let you set the white balance), whilst the Canon has more manual controls than you can shake a stick at.

You therefore need to consider whether you want just a point and shoot cam or if you want to be able to have some artistic control over your images and not just for now but future too.

For me this was a no brainer and a big reason why I went for the A70 - I have in the past made the mistake of going from full featured 35mm SLR's to a compact point and shoot and regretted it - never again.

Hope that helps some and that you will be happy with whatever cam you choose.

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2003, 5:24 AM   #3

Hi Stef,

Thank you for the long reply.

Your points are exactly what makes me keen in getting an A70. I have always had a point and shoot and I'd like to practice with some manual settings, the great thing about digital is i think.... you can learn how all the manual operations work faster then on a 35MM.. ie i can experiment and it wont cost me money on film.

That said, the softness does concern me and I think it must be an issue as many people have talked about it. I also read that paintshop pro and other such applications can put this right when using the sharperning tools, maybe a bit of hassle to have to do this each time??

I have read about the flimsy door, I have gone to Jessops (Camera shop) and seen for myself what people have been talking about, yes I was scared it would break off too. The flickery screen when zooming is a bit of a turn off and the LCD colours werent as vibrant as on the 3100.

But... I can live with all of those gripes just not too sure if I can live with the softness. I cant test these that easily by using the 30 day return policy in England, as I learnt that as soon as you break the seal of the packaging of the CD Software, they wont accept it back.

Would anyone recommend an alternative , same price range, which is also point and shoot as well as manual for when I want to play?

Or am I worrying too much about softness?

Thank you all.

George
London, UK
Happy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2003, 8:25 AM   #4
SSD

Hi,
I don't know of another camera in this price range with the same features, but I wanted to add that from personal experience, the Canon's color reproduction on the picture itself is superior to the Nikon.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2003, 1:56 PM   #5

George Have you checked pics from the two on here and at my link I posted for the A70?

It might be worth checking with your local camera shops if they might allow you to change cams if you're not happy with which ever you buy - unfortunately we're not as lucky here as our North Atlantic members whose standards of customer service seem to be rather superior to ours but maybe worth asking.

Olympus cams also have good manual controls and long zooms might be worth checking one out as an alternative

Stef
Old May 31, 2003, 2:25 PM   #6

George

Also check out this thread on this forum:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=10106

It addresses your very question and one of the posters owns BOTH these models and outlines what he likes on both.

Hope that helps some more

Stef