Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:49 AM   #1

announced a few hours ago :

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/psg7/index-e.html
HiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:34 AM   #2

Just ran across this a minute ago. It sure looks interesting.

I've been trying to decide on the ''entry'' DSLR route or the prosumer kind.I guess this camera can be considered prosumer. It sure looks to be nearly full-featured.

I'mnot too interested in post-production, as I've noted many times before, and I've straddled the fence for quite some time now, especially since all i've ever owned is SLRs. So if I can get a very capable image from the G7 then this may be the path I'll take, especially since it seems to have accessories to cover most shooting conditions I think.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:34 PM   #3

It has very similar specifications with A640, the new processor has to be very good for that price.
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:56 PM   #4

Not that great! Has no RAW, no swival screen, no longer the CF card, and a slower lens. This is not a G in my opinion. This is a move by Canon to force people to go dslr. Well I am just going to stop buying Canon period!

Was going to be buying it but now am really bummed. I own the G4 and was going to upgrade... not now.
oab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:15 PM   #5

No RAW in a PROsumer... and not just any prosumer, a G-line prosumer. Oooook :O

Canon headquarters, around first semester of 2007:
"Say, do users really need RAW in an EOS450D or 40D? Why not leave it only for the 6D and 1Ds Mark IV?"
Koosla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:15 PM   #6

I just wrote a long letter to Canon. I have used the G-Series for 6 years since the G1!

I agree with Koosla - also no vari angle screen? What's up with that, what were they thinking. What a sad day!

nonaC
nonaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:03 PM   #7

It doesn't have RAW, but it does have "aquarium mode" and you can make the shutter sound just like the F1 (it will at least sound like a real camera).

I've been waiting years for this camera to come out and it seems my wait is over. I'll be going to a company other than canon for my next camera.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:39 PM   #8

I've read the comments above and they are dulynoted. Noted in the sense I don't reallyknow how to analyze it because I've never owned any kind of digital camera before and have never known the benefits of a tilt/swivel lcd. That said, this brings to mind two things: 1) it may well be that Canon has hadsome feed-back on image quality in jpeg with earlier models of their G series and that ''possible'' feedback told them there wasn't any pressing need for raw if jpeg gives quite acceptable images.Obviously I have no way of determining this to be fact but it's just a thought. 2) What I read on a preview of the G7 today, the reviewer said the lack of raw processing meant to him that Canon seemingly didn't want to offer too much in some areas (of the G7) as it may take away from their ''entry-level DSLRs.''

As digital cameras go, all brands have a loyal following and to them each time a new model surfaces it means nothing should be deleted from the newer one simply because it isn't the thing to do with previous owners; and I understand the aggravation from previous owners on this point.

I read some outdated information today (2005 I believe it was)and I don't recall where except it wasa website that had a canon forum on it, that saidthe G series was going to be cancelled.So comparing the G7's introduction with the model ''loyalty'' commentsabove, it seems to me Canon felt there was a need to continue this model simply because of economics even without the raw mode, meaning, someone is still buying that series of camerafor Canon tojustify newer production; with or without raw.

This is where I come in. Even though ''I'm an slr guy'' it wouldn't take much to persuade me to ''jump the fence'' if this G7 has very good in camera processing without the need to sit ata pc for any length of time. That said, its' total focal length without accessories is a bit on the shy side which in my view isn't too much of an issue either. Canon must know this also and don't see it a s a negative. Then again, this model may well be a last gasp from Canon before they move away from the prosumer altogether; not the point and shoot people mind you. (See the relativity of it all.)After all, according to where information is presented, the lower DSLR market for themis abuzz.

Also, another comment that needs to be said is DSLR manufacturers know there is a market for lens interchangeability even if it is ''expensive'' to the average point and shooter, and I guess (some)prosumers too.Tthis means, to me anyway, that while DSLRs have been coming down in price andmanufacturers know if they can tweak in-camera processing to draw the prosumer crowd away then that makes good business sense. Kind of like outsourcing: some get hurt in terms of job losses but some benefit.

So this still means there is a market for prosumer cameras, even though some get short-changed in the tweaking/upgradeprocess (witness the G7). And this may well be that Canon's marketing is telling them raw isn't that much of a deal to some prosumer buyers, at least as it pertains to the G7. After all, some ''serious shooters'' on another website I visited a couple of days ago said they were very much satisfied with the jpeg/finescene. Of course the argument went back and forth on that one. Lots of subjectivityon that one. Or soI read. :-)Technical talk and awareness of same doesn't necessarily produce a compositionally correct photographer.

Finally, I've read enough information on Steve's Forums to know there is a market for prosumers upgrading to the DSLR, and amarket for people like me that are interested in a sophisticated prosumer but haven't been convinced quite enough to make a decision on which way to go: DSLR/prosumer. And if I can get good images froma jpeg camera, maybe even an occasional 8×10 this alonemay be enough tosteer meaway from the DSLR. But, Istill haven't made upmy mind to know exactly what Iwant to do.

How long this remains is open to question. But the reading goes on and on.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:08 PM   #9

I really wish Canon would start implementing Bluetooth file transfer capabilities.

I like this camera, even without the RAW file capabilities. I will however miss the swivel screen, that was something I always took advantage of on my G3. I'm going to wait till the price comes down into the 400US range however.
eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:22 PM   #10

Pluses: BLACK finish

Cons: No flip out LCD, No CF cards(now SD)

Looks a LOT like a Casio!

My main question is this - it these new models of digicams have the New Digic III processing, why couldn't they have put that feature in the new Rebel XTi/aka 400D?
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote