Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 25, 2006, 2:53 AM   #1

Apologies if this should be in the Battery Forum (admins please move if appropriate), I considered putting it there but this seemed a possible camera error or issue, rather than just a Battery one.

My SD300's (IXUS40) low Battery Indicator Light comes on shortly after a fully charged battery is inserted. The weird thing is I can continue to take quite a few pictures and even filled up 512MB card with movies AFTER the light comes on.

Like this fellow (dpreview forum thread), http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12492997 this occurs with both the original and the generic battery we purchased for this camera. I do not believe we have made >300 charges with both batteries (as per Canon's booklet, shown here https://startit.artic.edu/guides/irm...er%20Guide.pdf).

Canon's booklet also says 90 mins recharge time when fully discharged, but ours only ever take around 10 mins, even after using fully after the low battery warning light come on.

The fellow in the above dpreview thread shows no resolution, but before I take it in for out-of warranty service, I'd like to know if possible, if this is a commmon issue (google appears to show it is not) and what to look for or how to test to fix it?

Cheers and thanks,

Kristian
jksmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:28 AM   #2

Hello again,

A month on and this thing is driving me nuts. We bought a new battery and it is doing the same thing. Any suggestions?

Kristian
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Administrator

The only logical thing to do is to send it in to Canon service, obviously something is not right in the camera.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 9:49 AM   #4

I really think it's the charger. We had to charge our batteries to get our display models to work (no power plug in on the elphs) and I know they took over an hour to charge when they were getting low.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:51 AM   #5

The charger. Hmm, you're the second person to mention that. Hadn't even though of it myself. Is there a test for these things (with a Digital Voltmeter e.g.? ) or is it just a case of tryout a new charger?

Ours really does take only 10 mins, nowhere nearan hour. ..

k.