Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 4, 2003, 4:39 PM   #1

Default Advice on best charger for new Canon camera?

Just ordered my first digital camera - Canon A70 - and I am now looking at a suitable charger.

Is there a "favourite" or "market leader" that people here use? or is it just down to personal taste?

Any help or advice from people who use and are pleased with a good quality charger (thinking of 2000 capacity batteries here) would be appreciated.

I bought my camera from Amazon.com - ordered Monday 2nd and have received an email saying it will be despatched today!! (I had heard that they were in short supply at the moment and had set myself for a long wait!! Good price too!! done the leg work on prices and reviews (which led me to this site!!)

Thanks for any advice
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2003, 9:54 PM   #2

I also have the A70 and use the MH-C204F charger for the AA batteries that it requires. I ordered it from Thomas Distributing along with two sets of Powerex batteries and am very satisfied with them.
sassysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 10:26 PM   #3

That's a decent model but wait!
Here is another good one...

THE Rayovac 1 hour quick charger. It's the first of it's kind and still BEST!

It is HIGHLY rated by Steve's review members. The Energizer 1 hour is similar. I use mine all the time from VCR remote batteries, wireless Sennheiser headphones, to wireless mouse batteries, Mini-Maglight etc...Everything! I like it alot! A+++ Picked up mine at the local WalMart. It's got 4 independantly controlled circuits with conditioning and microprocessor controlled smart charging. Most 2000ma batteries of mine (NiMH) charge in less than 30 minutes! Yep, it's cool. I would get it.

Maha's are worth a look at too but their build quality made me turn away. The Rayovac is rock solid as I can attest. I have accidentally dropped mine a few times yet keeps on ticking! Get the car travel kit setup. It works directly off of 12vdc. If you ever take the camera with you in a vehicle then it is an absolute god-send. The kit includes cigarette lighter adapter and pouch (ordinarily comes without these as picture shows). That's the setup I have. The price I paid was around $35 USD. Darn well worth it! I use it for my NEX IA MP3 player, CD Player, Tape Player, A70 camera.....etc. Hey! we have the same camera!

CG

CanonGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 9:45 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys - appreciated. Coming from the UK I haven't heard of the MH-C204F or the Rayovac. Have heard of, and can get here, the Maha though.

I will try a few searches on our UK sites to see if they are available over here

Thanks again
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:52 PM   #5

the MH-c204F is Maha...but was reading last night in my PCPhoto magazine there is a new Maha charger MH-C401FS. 100 minute cool charger and charges the NiMh 2200.

Check out this website www.mahaenergy.com
sassysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 8:11 PM   #6

I use the Energizer 1hr Quickcharge thing.

Batteries are the 1850mAh ones.

Best I could find up here at any of the camera stores.

Seem to last a while, will buy a 2nd set of AAs just to be on the safeside
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 2:47 AM   #7

The maha MH-C401FS takes 100 minutes to charge. And it's $50!! Ouch! The Rayovac ($35) takes about 30 minutes in my tests. And it comes with 2 free NiMH batteries!.

As Steve puts it in his review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...ha_c401fs.html

"I've been using the Maha C204F for about two years now but it's recently been replaced by the new C401FS. It's the same (small) size and with its new pulse charging technology it extends the life of your cells and does away with the old "refresh" cycles. Add in the four independant circuits and the lifetime warranty and it's simply a no brainer -- at less than $40 this is the BEST charger on the market. "

So what? The Rayovac has all that stuff plus more! Is it really the best one out there? Well according to Steve, I guess it is...?? :?

:!: I must tell you that you are more than likely to break this thing with leaking batteries or water accidentally rather than IT breaking on it's own. The warranty will NOT cover that type of damage! So the warranty is not the issue here. So what is the issue? Well...the only difference I see is the PRICE! Maha is WAY overpriced. And it doesn't come with 2 free batteries as well. Hmm..??

I still have a 10 year old General Electric NiCD charger and it still works fine! If taken care of properly chargers last a LONG time. I would take either the Rayovac or the Energizer anyday. I would have to skip on the Maha as it takes 100 minutes versus my Rayovac Quick charger (see pic above) which is only 30 minutes. The Maha's build quality and craftsmanship has me a little uneasy as well. :? The Rayovac looks much better. 8)

As I said before, Rayovac practically holds the patents for PROPER and SAFE quick charging. Maha does not. Quick charging doesn't reduce the batteries life! I don't know where Maha is getting this from? Top scientists have tested NiMH batteries all the way up to 5000 charges regardless if it is quick charged or not!Don't bother looking it up, I have seen the paperwork! Forget the hype and save your money instead. Get a Rayovac. It's better by far... Price, Speed, Quality...etc. I am confident I made the best decision by far. Steve's decision was more than likely made by HYPE, not price. I think Steve should rethink his decision and stop telling people it's the best charger out there! :x He is wrong. Pure and simple.
CanonGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 9:33 AM   #8

CanonGuru

Just to correct a few facts from your post:

The Maha at $50 includes 4 2200mAh batteries, a car 12V adapter (and a battery case, but that isn't that special.) So it isn't fare to talk about the 2 batteries of the $35 Rayovac without getting the Maha straight.

Walmart has the Rayovac for $30 with the car adapter, but no batteries ($5+ for 2 is reasonable, so your $35 price makes sense.) So I'd say that price is right, though those batteries are probably not 2200mAh (a quick google search didn't find any Rayovac's which came with batteries, so I don't know which ones it normally comes with.)

I've never physically had or used either charger, so I can't say anything about build quality. That is something that has to be found by inspection. When you say "The Rayovac looks much better." I assume you mean "when I look at it, it seems better made. The plastic is thicker, the vents are better placed, the cables are of higher quality...." And not "Wow, that is a good looking charger!"

While I do agree that it isn't inherent in quick charging that it reduces the battery’s life, what does reduce the life of a battery is excessive heat. Badly made quick chargers will produce more heat. Neither of these chargers are badly made, so this isn't a problem. The Rayovac causes the batteries to get hotter than the Maha, but neither seems to be "too hot".
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote