Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:58 PM   #1

I keep reading that the Canon cameras only show the date / time in postcard mode only.
Is that standard for most new cams or is this just a Canon thing?

I'm looking at the A series cameras because I want to upgrade my old Kodak DC290 (which does put the date on the pictures).

Thanks.
tkane18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:30 AM   #2

Postcard mode? My S3 doesn't have that mode. But it does have the ability to print the date when the picture is printed, or not, depending on the setting. It's in the Print menu which is available when the camera is in View mode.

You can see the the date/time for any picture simply by getting Info to show on any picture you're looking at. On the S3, while in View Mode, hit the Disp button once and the date/time shows at the bottom of the LCD screen (or EVF).
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:00 AM   #3

Is the date embedded on the picture?
I have been sending the pictures via the internet to the local Walgreens for printing.
Will the date be on there if I print that way as opposed to printing through the supplied Canon software?
Thanks again for the reply.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:59 PM   #4

The last thing I want to see on my pictures is a big ol' date across the bottom. That info is embedded in the picture file on your computer if you ever need to know when you took a picture.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:11 PM   #5

I know the info is embedded but the wife gets bent out of shape when they get printed without the date.
She's not so computer savvy.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 5:08 PM   #6

tkane18 wrote:
Quote:
I know the info is embedded but the wife gets bent out of shape when they get printed without the date.

You have to keep SWMBO happy! :lol:
weasle543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 5:34 PM   #7

tkane18 wrote:
Quote:
must be why I'm single. :-)
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 7:08 PM   #8
Administrator

Some cameras have a date stamp feature, and some cameras don't.

I personally think that date stamps can ruin photos (my opinion anyway, since the date stamp can be pretty unsightly, especially if the color of the stamp happens to clash with the image you take). Everytime I see someone post a photo here with one, I cringe (but, that's probably just me). ;-)

But, you can get software to print a date/time stamp on a photo, if you really have a need for it.

The settings a camera used to take a photo are included inthe EXIF (a header that is part of your images).This header includes the date and time an image was taken. You can get free software that can read the date the photo was taken, and stamp your images with the date if desired.

One example of a free utility isExifer for Windows (it's watermark feature can read the date information, and place it on the photos in batch mode).

Using this technique (instead of a camera's date stamp feature), insures that you always have originals without the date stamp (since it can be unsightly). Simplywork with copies of your originals so you'll have versions with and without a date stamp.

Some printing software can also place the date on a photo when printing (reading it from the header in the image file). Even the free EasyPrint software Canon includes with some of it's newer Pixma printers has this feature (and some third party printing software like QImage Pro can also do this, with nodate stampfeature in the camera needed).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:55 AM   #9

Thanks for all the info.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:34 PM   #10

I too was looking for the date stamp on the photo. Only in Postcard mode they say but I can't find any such mode on my new A570IS Find it strange I don't have this option.:sad:
helena962 is offline   Reply With Quote